Thoughts on re3 and reVC (miami branch)

Started by DMWarrior, Feb 17, 2021, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMWarrior

Currently, there are some projects trying to achieve the goal of reconstructing GTA III and GTA Vice City through reverse engineering: re3 and reVC (miami branch). Development seems to be stable enough to the point people are using it to recompile and run these games on other platforms.

Could VC:MP take advantage of this in any way?

I can only imagine a few things of what could be achieved...
  • Playing VC:MP on consoles (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation Vita), or even on phones (if a source port is available in the future).
  • Since reVC includes some extra features and fixes (widescreen fix, PS2 effects), VC:MP players could just rely on what's already there instead of waiting to be included on an update.
  • Assuming that VC:MP code doesn't just relies on specific memory addresses for everything, having what's essentially the source code of the game could make things considerably easier or faster to implement. reVC could even be used as reference for feature requests or bug reports.
  • Given the possibility of compiling one single EXE file, VC:MP could use it's own custom "multiplayer-only" build instead of relying on DLLs.

Any thoughts on this?

Xmair

QuoteGiven the possibility of compiling one single EXE file, VC:MP could use it's own custom "multiplayer-only" build instead of relying on DLLs.
This point is something which caught my interest but I don't reckon VCMP developers will implement this for legal reasons.

Credits to Boystang!

VU Full Member | VCDC 6 Coordinator & Scripter | EG A/D Contributor | Developer of VCCNR | Developer of KTB | Ex-Scripter of EAD

Sebastian

Quote from: Xmair on Feb 18, 2021, 08:54 AM
QuoteGiven the possibility of compiling one single EXE file, VC:MP could use it's own custom "multiplayer-only" build instead of relying on DLLs.
This point is something which caught my interest but I don't reckon VCMP developers will implement this for legal reasons.

This is the exact reason.
We have also discussed about it one day before this post

NicusorN5

R* devs don't give a crap about the 3D universe games anymore, to be honest. They are already milking enough money from GTA V / GTA Online

Radon

Would be interesting to see this implemented to Windows RT (which runs on ARM32), considering I have one. :)

DMWarrior

Quote from: Athanatos on Feb 18, 2021, 05:34 PM
R* devs don't give a crap about the 3D universe games anymore, to be honest. They are already milking enough money from GTA V / GTA Online

...and they gave a crap.

This reply was the best reason I could find on why this happened. Looks like the project is considered to be derivative work instead of clean room design.

On the other hand, this takedown was requested from Take-Two, the same company which tried to takedown OpenIV and only backpedalled after they got caught and received a lot of bad press. So who knows? Maybe it's just scare tactics.

I have to agree with Xmair and Sebastian. After what just happened, that doesn't seem to worth the risk, at least for now.

NicusorN5

Quote from: DMWarrior on Feb 20, 2021, 10:03 AM
Quote from: Athanatos on Feb 18, 2021, 05:34 PM

...and they gave a crap.

Well, f*ck, I guess you're right. I wish I was right everytime...

Except it wasn't R*, ot was TakeTwo.