[VCMP] Squirrel zero-to-hero guide

Started by EK.IceFlake, Feb 01, 2015, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 03, 2015, 08:24 AMTeaching people the wrong code will yield the following result: Can't Fix Error in my Program  ( Hint: You must know C++ to get the joke :D )
This is so freaking long that ... idk

Fuzzie

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 03, 2015, 11:51 AMAnd, I, myself, ain't very good in squirrel. But I am about to teach the basics of squirrel that I know.
If that is the case, I suggest you learn the language yourself before even thinking of teaching other people cause you might (and you have) misinformed several things. If you want to still go ahead with things, I suggest you request help from someone who already knows the language to review it before posting it.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 03, 2015, 11:51 AMYes I know about the private and public thing, but in almost all the languages I know, private variables are only shown in the block of code and all codes which are inside that code. And in them, public variables are globally open. Just different ways of saying something.
It's called local and global variables not private and public. I assume you haven't reached the class/object part of programming since you still considered it private and public.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Fuzzie on Feb 03, 2015, 12:18 PM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 03, 2015, 11:51 AMAnd, I, myself, ain't very good in squirrel. But I am about to teach the basics of squirrel that I know.
If that is the case, I suggest you learn the language yourself before even thinking of teaching other people cause you might (and you have) misinformed several things. If you want to still go ahead with things, I suggest you request help from someone who already knows the language to review it before posting it.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 03, 2015, 11:51 AMYes I know about the private and public thing, but in almost all the languages I know, private variables are only shown in the block of code and all codes which are inside that code. And in them, public variables are globally open. Just different ways of saying something.
It's called local and global variables not private and public. I assume you haven't reached the class/object part of programming since you still considered it private and public.
Lets consider the definitions of private and public, generally. Checked with google:
Private - belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only. only instead of people, it is a block of code
And about public, I made myself
Public - open to all; opposite of private

Fuzzie

QuoteThere are two types of variables in Squirrel, local variables and tables/arrays slots. Because global variables are stored in a table, they are table slots.

Taken straight from the Squirrel manual. If you aren't going to actually listen to advice and are not willing to be corrected by people who know better than you, I really don't see any point for anyone to even care of using this site nor improving it. Stop creating your own terms that will just confuse the shit out of all the new comers and start using terms that has already been established for years.

Stormeus

QuoteSquirrel is a high level imperative/OO programming language, designed to be a powerful scripting tool that fits in the size, memory bandwidth, and real-time requirements of applications like games.

This is one hell of an introduction for a tutorial designed to teach Squirrel to people who likely don't know what imperative and OO mean.

I'd say look to something like The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Pawn and improving it in order to write a tutorial on Squirrel.

Thijn

Teaching people the basics of a language while you don't know the basic yourself isn't a good idea.
I like the fact you're willing to teach people, but at this point you're more then likely to give them a bad start.

There have been posted several links to some good tutorials, and I would suggest people to read them instead of this.