Changes to official servers

Started by Stormeus, Jul 28, 2016, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormeus

Quote from: NewK on Jul 28, 2016, 04:28 PMThese new guidelines are easier to understand for everyone. Although the type of people that kept pestering VC:MP devs with "pls make my svr official" are now going to be pestering  VC:MP/LU beta testers for them to join their servers' staff teams.

It's worth reiterating that the bar is a bit higher than simply having beta testers as staff. They either need to be in some sort of management position or they'd need to have helped develop the server. Given that, I wouldn't expect anyone on our beta team to just join any given server in this kind of role.

vito

Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 28, 2016, 04:51 PMIt's worth reiterating that the bar is a bit higher than simply having beta testers as staff. They either need to be in some sort of management position or they'd need to have helped develop the server. Given that, I wouldn't expect anyone on our beta team to just join any given server in this kind of role.
I don't think its so hard for server owners to have idle manager to get official status. Anyway being in official list means being in social connection with vc-mp's devs, it can be called with any name as "nepotism" or "trusted server" but it's a nature of any types 'official list'. So nothing will change really with any rules about that list. At last it's more clear now, as one said before.

Stormeus

Quote from: vito on Jul 28, 2016, 05:27 PMI don't think its so hard for server owners to have idle manager to get official status. Anyway being in official list means being in social connection with vc-mp's devs

No, it means having been a beta tester or developer. I don't think we've recruited any in a long while. If you look at the list of official servers from 2011, you'll also find that pretty much all of them were run by devs or beta testers.

http://archive.vc-mp.org/to2011/index.php#5

Eva

What about unofficial servers, using Official Server in their server names?

vito

Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 28, 2016, 05:37 PMNo, it means having been a beta tester or developer. I don't think we've recruited any in a long while. If you look at the list of official servers from 2011, you'll also find that pretty much all of them were run by devs or beta testers.

You're correct. I don't know history of vc-mp and I don't know real contribution of vc-mp devs/tester in each official server. All I can see - nowdays XE writen by Drake (vcmp tester?) and this is in official list. What is the reason for that, is it there was a server with same name in past or because some old money there in management of new XE - I don't know too. One thing I know is an human nature to help to their friends. And I can't rate it a "clearly bad", it was born in natural selection at last.

Castagna

QuoteAlot of things happen, a good standard is neglected and only causes disappointment, Some may be wasting time on this game, but for me as an example, I'm just trying to do something better, and even I had succeeded ofcourse I wanted something and now I can't be like "I made the best server in VCMP, now give me money as a reward" No, all in all what really had mattered was a fucking attention so that the struggled put into coding it is atleast known to the community and is not dusted.
@Doom_Kill3R : In case you waste time on making something new and unique, then you do it for the good of the community and players to have a large range of new gamedmodes, not to get official status. If you think the way I do, then you must be happy since no one is blocking you to offer your contributions to the community via servers.

QuoteI care more about players having a good time in my server :) , thats what its all about!!!  Also i guess 9 out of 10 players look in the browser for servers with players instead of using Officials tab.

QuoteWell don't worry I'm going to open my own masterlist with more ethical official policies
@EK.CrystalBlue: Sure go ahead. Official servers will remain as official whether you open or not your own browser/masterlist. Rules can't be revised by those who are not part of VC-MP team.

QuoteMean a normal guy server can not become Official Right?
if i am right so this rule is not good this mean if developer or tester have empty server its will also become official?
This is a very dumb question. Common sense :)

Quote from: vito on Jul 28, 2016, 05:54 PM
Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 28, 2016, 05:37 PMNo, it means having been a beta tester or developer. I don't think we've recruited any in a long while. If you look at the list of official servers from 2011, you'll also find that pretty much all of them were run by devs or beta testers.

You're correct. I don't know history of vc-mp and I don't know real contribution of vc-mp devs/tester in each official server. All I can see - nowdays XE writen by Drake (vcmp tester?) and this is in official list. What is the reason for that, is it there was a server with same name in past or because some old money there in management of new XE - I don't know too. One thing I know is an human nature to help to their friends. And I can't rate it a "clearly bad", it was born in natural selection at last.
@vito: I think you're a bit wrong here, I'd suggest you to review the VC-MP history deeper.

Although it is not running right now due to a new script development, Extreme Addicts has been offering unique TDM elements since 2011 as official server, developed, administrated all by myself from the very beginning. It is not such a huge legacy alike the other legendary servers and the activity peaks could oscillate, but it has been always encompassed as LW/XE/EA - from TDM/DM popular servers. This is my input as a beta tester now, although I've managed to promote my server without being in such position. The legacy is important here.

QuoteWhat about unofficial servers, using Official Server in their server names?
@Eva: Ignore them and ban them from materlist?

QuoteNow everybody will invite vcmp devs/testers to their server to wear official rank ;D
@vito: We are aware of this, and this is not going to happen or provide any chance for thrid-party server owners and founders to be promoted.

QuoteI don't think its so hard for server owners to have idle manager to get official status. Anyway being in official list means being in social connection with vc-mp's devs
There is a bunch of people in touch with VC-MP team and it has nothing to do anyway.

DizzasTeR

@Castagna, I agree with what you said no doubt, I have done contribution to one of the best server in VCMP history that is Argonath RPG with aXXo and Fuzzie and believe me I loved it.

So yeah as I said I'm satisfied with these now.

Skirmant

Guess I have no choice now but to promote @Murdock to a co-owner ;-;

vito

Quote from: Castagna on Jul 28, 2016, 08:49 PM@vito: I think you're a bit wrong here, I'd suggest you to review the VC-MP history deeper.

Although it is not running right now due to a new script development, Extreme Addicts has been offering unique TDM elements since 2011 as official server, developed, administrated all by myself from the very beginning. It is not such a huge legacy alike the other legendary servers and the activity peaks could oscillate, but it has been always encompassed as LW/XE/EA - from TDM/DM popular servers. This is my input as a beta tester now, although I've managed to promote my server without being in such position. The legacy is important here.
But it's the history. Now days drake created XE, under same brand though.