My server is often unreachable by players

Started by PunkNoodle, Sep 04, 2016, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkNoodle

My server is almost always unreachable by players, it can be seen on masterlist but people can't connect to it. My port forwarding should be done correctly since I was able to open servers in other multiplayers like LU for example. Thijn's connection checker says everything is correct. I tried changing port the default one (8192) but nothing changed. I turned on announce_verbose and this is what I got:

announcer: Verbosity enabled
Loaded plugin: announce04rel64

Loaded plugin: squirrel04rel64

Loaded plugin: xmlconf04rel64

[WEAPONS] No custom weapons to load.
[VEHICLEMODELS] No custom vehicle models to load.
announcer: Thread created, ready to announce.
announcer: Candidate for hostname found, trying to connect...
announcer: Sent 194/194 bytes to master.vc-mp.org
--> 263 bytes in
--> 0 bytes in
announcer: Received 263/511 bytes from master.vc-mp.org
announcer: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Server: nginx/1.2.1

Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 17:12:59 GMT

Content-Type: text/html

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.45-0+deb7u4

X-Cache: MISS from localhost

X-Cache-Lookup: MISS from localhost:3128

Via: 1.1 localhost (squid/3.5.19)

Connection: close

announcer: Successfully announced to master.vc-mp.org
Player 'PunkNoodle' ID 0 connected.
--> 263 bytes in
--> 0 bytes in

Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 17:13:59 GMT

--> 263 bytes in
--> 0 bytes in

Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 17:14:59 GMT

Any help is highly appreciated I really have no clue what's going on.

If someone would ask you this very same question with the same details that you gave right now. What would you notice is missing from the given information? What would be the first thing that you'd ask. Think about it.

PunkNoodle

You're right something is missing, let me add some more details: I'm running Win 7 64 bit, the server's architecture is also 64 bit and I'm using the following plugins: announce04rel64 squirrel04rel64 xmlconf04rel64. The server I'm using is the last one released, though I was also using some older versions months ago and the problem was the same. If you think I still missed something important, feel free to tell me.

EK.IceFlake

Eva

Does it apear in the Masterlist? if No you havent opened the correct port.
Look in your routerconfig if the right ports are opened on the servers local IP adress (192.168.1.100) for example

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Eva on Sep 06, 2016, 04:48 PMDoes it apear in the Masterlist? if No you havent opened the correct port.
Look in your routerconfig if the right ports are opened on the servers local IP adress (192.168.1.100) for example
"it can be seen on masterlist but people can't connect to it." -needle, 2016

PunkNoodle

Here is what people normally get when trying to join my server.

Mötley

Could anyone thats available to the vcmp browser reply with the average server ping is? This might, might not be the issue. Hopefully a lead.

Are you running your lu server and vcmp server at the same time?

Also could you try a server with no objects/scripts kneedle.

EK.IceFlake

Check if the server is trying to communicate with you or no
Use a packet sniffer, filter receiving packets UDP *without* the prefix 'MP04' or 'VCMP' and check if the server is sending packets to you.

If its not, your ISP is probably being a b*tch

Ankris

Quote from: EK.CrystalBlue on Sep 07, 2016, 12:04 PMCheck if the server is trying to communicate with you or no
Use a packet sniffer, filter receiving packets UDP *without* the prefix 'MP04' or 'VCMP' and check if the server is sending packets to you.

As he said, you could use Wireshark for check if you receive any incoming packet. If you don't then it's the ISP blocking the IP's because they are "spam" for your ISP provider.

PunkNoodle

Quote from: Mötley on Sep 07, 2016, 12:21 AMCould anyone thats available to the vcmp browser reply with the average server ping is? This might, might not be the issue. Hopefully a lead.

Are you running your lu server and vcmp server at the same time?

Also could you try a server with no objects/scripts kneedle.
No I'm not running them at the same time, all I meant is that my servers in other multiplayers are perfectly reachable no clue why I got such an issue here, I don't know the average ping I guess my net isn't too fast anyway. My server has no objects at all, the only thing I added so far is some custom skins, and the script is the one taken from Seby's blank server, I can try removing it but I have nobody whom to test with at the moment.

Quote from: Ankris on Sep 07, 2016, 12:51 PM
Quote from: EK.CrystalBlue on Sep 07, 2016, 12:04 PMCheck if the server is trying to communicate with you or no

As he said, you could use Wireshark for check if you receive any incoming packet. If you don't then it's the ISP blocking the IP's because they are "spam" for your ISP provider.
I never used such stuff, I'll give it a try soon hoping that it's not too hard to use for a newbie; still if the problem was the ISP how come I'm able to run LAN servers on other multiplayers? Of course I don't plan to host my server at home, but I need people to reach my server from time to time for testing purposes and other reasons as well.

PunkNoodle

*Bump*

Ok I tried Wireshark for what it's worth, I've seen some UDP packets being sent from my external IP to my internal one (I hope it was what I was supposed to do with it, else I scr***d up). Again I'd like to state that this is not the first time I portforward or try to run a server, it's just the first time I do it in VC:MP, so Imho it's not the ISP either.

PunkNoodle

Problem solved, I'd never understand why it was working before but at some point it stopped. Anyway it turned out to be the router's firewall, I solved it by disabling it.