Learning C++

Started by Mötley, Jan 20, 2017, 09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mötley

Hey Everyone :)

Could those that have been to college and or happened to maybe pick this book up before tell me if this is a really good book for learning C++?

First Book of C++ by Gary Bronson

https://books.google.com/books?id=LUJbzQR7KnoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=First+Book+of+C%2B%2B+by+Gary+Bronson&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigyq7nrtDRAhVC6yYKHTGhA3cQ6AEILzAA#v=onepage&q=First%20Book%20of%20C%2B%2B%20by%20Gary%20Bronson&f=false

Please and Thank you :)

*One of the biggest problems of teachers is that they teach you in a perspective as if you already know it, This goes for books as well. I skimmed threw this book and this is the best I have seen

Kewun

Good for me, I used to read it sometimes for creating lu hax (jk)

Mötley

I want to make sure to clarify something:

If we want to be more successful we need to work together on making sure those that are learning and those that have already learned can help each other in becoming a better/stronger community.

This is just like a job, One guy basically literally knows everything little thing on a corporate standard, While another guy really does not know anything at all, He does not even know the basics of staying active, Keeping a box in his hand, A broom, Keeping dishes going, Keep floors moped, Etc etc.. The guy that knows everything teaches him, Takes him under his wing and helps make him an outstanding employee.

This is the same aspect..

All jokes to the side I want to learn C++
"Do not convince me to learn LUA instead :P"

And I want to make sure to go about this right, I figured VC-MP would be a great place to reach out to during this adventure, Maybe I was wrong.... :o
And if I was wrong to reach out to this community please prove me wrong by showing me the right way during this adventure :)

DizzasTeR

C++ isn't a joke if you ask me. Its not something as open as Squirrel you have been used to so far neither is it that easy to debug. Although I started working on it a little and even made a little program on it, its no deny that the frustration I had to create this one simple program was just beyond limits.

I'd rather suggest you to get fluent in one of the related languages to it first, and I mean really fluent. Other than that I don't know any books to recommend you cuz right now I'm having C classes in college rather than C++

jWeb

C++ can only be tamed with excessive practice. If you don't have a few good years at your disposal. In which you must include in some serious practice regimen. You should probably stay away from C++.

That language is not for the weak. It will break you. Many came before you, thinking they can tame C++. Now they're crying in a corner somewhere.

Mötley

I do have many years to be capable of focusing my time on studies.

I actually happened to remove myself from my career "Heating and Air Conditioning", To get into Management at a big corporation, This way I can have much more time for studies as well become a better employee with the experience I will gain as a manager.

I intend to start all the way from the bottom of C++ coding with simple basics, I plan to forget everything I have learned and start fresh with C++, This is going to take a lot of time as well patience.

That's why I wanted to start by asking hear, I figured someone in this community would possibly direct me to a very good book, Possibly a book they read at one time in college. The book I have found seems to be the best as it seems to teach you as if you do not know it where as other books have seemed to teach you as if you already know C++..

That's the biggest issue I have encountered so far, So If I could get assistance on pick up a very good book I will do the rest on my own.

As far as I am concerned I do not plan to practice the language at any time, but to know it by learning everything I can in the books.

Once all goes well I plan to create a project.

I do not want to read documentary's from others, Only books that have been published and verified.

So once again I am just looking for that one great book to help me get my foot in the door :)

*Edited

I just purchased the Book and received an eTextbook with it.
I have around 100 USD I have set aside for funding, I might pick up a basic algebra book while I am at it, Not that I do not know algebra but that I know I could strengthen my algebra knowledge...

KAKAN

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Jan 20, 2017, 11:04 AMI'm having C classes in college rather than C++
C seems worse to me :p

I'd suggest to use Java and/or C# first, then move to something lower.
oh no

jWeb

Quote from: KAKAN on Jan 20, 2017, 04:00 PMI'd suggest to use Java and/or C# first, then move to something lower.

From language specification perspective, C is very simple. However, because of that. It can be a real pain in the ass to work with it. It's shares the same story that assembly does. Most people do the same mistake there as well. They think assembly is hard. However, the language isn't hard to understand. What's hard is using the language efficiently (the word 'efficiently' here does not stand for 'performance').

Mötley

C++ is more beneficial to know in general. Other languages will come in time..

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6237BI6ziY#

My standard is C++ first.

Then the rest of C once that is perfectly mastered.

*^Shouldn't be to hard once C++ is mastered right??

Then I plan to get into LUA in case I run across a project someone is working on and it happens to be the set language.
Not a priority what so ever though... Just a set Idea.

DizzasTeR

C++ and Mastered is a Universal Lie

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: jWeb on Jan 20, 2017, 11:36 AMThat language is not for the weak. It will break you. Many came before you, thinking they can tame C++. Now they're crying in a corner somewhere.
Mmm... I tried to tame it about 20 times. Failed all of them. Learned new stuff each time.
C++ == Hit And Miss

Shadow

In my opinion, you cannot learn any programming language, or anything at all in life by just reading theory. You'll either understand it in a wrong way or simply fail. One way to learn semantics/syntax is to learn from examples that YOU code (not just copy-paste or stuff like that, you need to understand every symbol and every bit of line and why they're there). There is also no such thing as a C++ tutorial. Also, if you try to start by reading complex stuff (like libraries or things like that), you'll stumble upon many more unknown things and would eventually give up. My advice is to start simply by doing basic 'hello world' programs, fiddling with the file i/o library and printing stuff to the console. Then, you could try diving into structures and learn more types. You could also learn loops and C++11/14 practices along the way (if you want to have a programming style that is modern and uses the best methods to accomplish something).

By saying this, I also need to mention that I think that I'm still at the beginner level, because there is just too much to learn and to understand.
QuotePS:is trash is ur home language??

Mötley

Quote from: Shadow on Jan 21, 2017, 09:57 AMIn my opinion, you cannot learn any programming language, or anything at all in life by just reading theory. You'll either understand it in a wrong way or simply fail. One way to learn semantics/syntax is to learn from examples that YOU code (not just copy-paste or stuff like that, you need to understand every symbol and every bit of line and why they're there). There is also no such thing as a C++ tutorial. Also, if you try to start by reading complex stuff (like libraries or things like that), you'll stumble upon many more unknown things and would eventually give up. My advice is to start simply by doing basic 'hello world' programs, fiddling with the file i/o library and printing stuff to the console. Then, you could try diving into structures and learn more types. You could also learn loops and C++11/14 practices along the way (if you want to have a programming style that is modern and uses the best methods to accomplish something).

By saying this, I also need to mention that I think that I'm still at the beginner level, because there is just too much to learn and to understand.
That's something I have thought of myself as well.

Just like college, A teacher can teach something as simple as I don't know taking a rim and tire off a car. He teaches you all of the proper steps and procedures.

That's fine but show me how it's done... If I do a visual side of how it's done as well do it myself I should always remember it, As well become better at it.

My main process is learning how I should talk about the language as well how the language was intended to be used, Objects, Algorithm, Pseudocode, Using a Flowchart etc etc.

And then getting a strong programing book to expand my knowledge.

I haven't even setup a proper practice in linux, That will come in time I suppose..

Once I get the idea of using the language I plan to read a lot of source codes to see how others went about using the language. What operations they used etc etc..

And then I plan to do some type of project to test my knowledge.

I am still open to ordering/buying anything that will help me, I have set aside 100 USD in funding and only put a small dent in it.

I am probably going to sound dumb in the beginning but in time, Even with the method of studies that I am using that wont even be a issue anymore...

:P It's all a learning process...

Kewun

Mötley

I applicate all of those that have helped me upon my journey :)

I must leave both communities now as I am going to be far too busy :)
I will return someday in the near future :)..

Farewell everyone :)

Good luck on all of your projects :)