UUID and UUID2 detailes

Started by (V)iceman, Feb 08, 2017, 02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(V)iceman

Hi all,
I just registered to the forum, because i plan to play this multiplayer mod regularly from now on, but i also discovered, that unique identifiers will be assigned to every user of the client. Well, basically it's fine for me though, but honestly, i don't want any hidden, "secret" and especially unremovable files, registry keys, or anything like that, in my machine at all. As far as i know, vcmp uses some hardware UIDs, but it'd be really nice to know, what exactly it mean, which ones are used and how the final vcmp' UUIDs (UUID and UUID2) are calculated in general (of course, without the actual technical detailes). I mean, what kind of methods are used, etc.. Additionally, in case, there's any data stored anywhere - regarding of this -, in which format (files, registry, etc.) are they hidden? Thank you for any useful informations.

jWeb

Uhm, if you've been banned and just want to get around it then just say so. Don't make up a conspiracy and privacy story.

But no. There's no registry or anything you can remove and be done with it. Probably just some information about the machine hardware (like your mother-board) that get's hashed and sent to the server. There's no persistent data stored on your machine other than the machine itself.

vito

Both are hashes based on hardware/software IDs it may be changed when user will reinstall OS or change HDD serial number (for UID1)
I saw player who has changed UID2 but non-changed UID1, so UID1 and UID2 based on some different IDs.
Don't trust to identify people by UID to ban them, cheaters nowadays able to change UID too fast, so against cheaters you need collect their subnet and check if only few people using that subnet - ban this subnet and make whitelist of UIDs of normal players from this banned subnet to let them play.

(V)iceman

Thank you for the guidelines to both of you.
jWeb, maybe it's useless to say so, that i never got banned from anywhere so far and my "story" isn't a fake one, but that's the raw truth. :)
Well, during the last few days, i made a little research on the subject, utilizing the advantages of a virtual environment. I don't say, it was easy, but at last, i successfully managed to get the answers for my original questions. Because of the obvious reason, that i don't want to get banned from this forum, especially not right after i just registered ;D , i won't publicate more technical detailes, than the followings (moderators, please remove even the next rows, if they still break any of the rules):

@jWeb, unfortunatelly, you're not really right with the statements below:
Quote from: jWeb on Feb 08, 2017, 02:14 AMBut no. There's no registry or anything you can remove and be done with it. Probably just some information about the machine hardware (like your mother-board) that get's hashed and sent to the server. There's no persistent data stored on your machine other than the machine itself.
Actually there are, but in fact, very well hidden. Sorry to say, but the second part is also incorrect, excluding the parts, regarding of the hashed values.

@vito, based on the above ones, you're only particulary right, but thank you for the useful advices. Maybe at some point, i'll try to start an own server too, when they'll come in handy. ;)