[SURVEY] Is your server using this plugin?

Started by ., Jun 13, 2017, 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got curious. Is there any public server that uses this plugin? And if there is. I have a few questions:

• Does it crash often? I currently marked the plugin as still in beta because API changes may still occur. But I'm curious whether crashes may be a part of that reason as well.
  • Is the performance reasonable? Whether you encounter any performance bottlenecks and where. Assuming they're from the plugin and not the server itself.
  • Was the API flexible enough? When making your script. Was the provided API flexible enough to not constrain your design decisions?
  • What is your server name/IP? I would like to join for a few moments one day and see for myself.

Thanks for the input.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: . on Jun 13, 2017, 12:24 PMI got curious. Is there any public server that uses this plugin?
If having it announced to only the Cloudwards masterlist counts, yes.

Quote from: . on Jun 13, 2017, 12:24 PM
  • Does it crash often? I currently marked the plugin as still in beta because API changes may still occur. But I'm curious whether crashes may be a part of that reason as well.
Almost never. It is the most stable server I've had.

• Was the API flexible enough? When making your script. Was the provided API flexible enough to not constrain your design decisions?
Mostly. It helped a lot in preventing a condition which happened with the official plugin where your script grew too big to tame.
One thing I don't like is that it is just as hard and hacky to implement a Discord bot here as the official plugin.

• What is your server name/IP? I would like to join for a few moments one day and see for myself.
Innovation fantasy. 178.32.116.43:2401.

Drake

• Does it crash often? Never, unless it's the script's or server's fault itself :P
    • Is the performance reasonable? No, instead it's the server which bottlenecks the plugin.
    • Was the API flexible enough? Yes, it is.
    • What is your server name/IP? XE European, but it's closed for now. You may ping me on IRC and I will get you in.

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 13, 2017, 12:33 PMMostly. It helped a lot in preventing a condition which happened with the official plugin where your script grew too big to tame.

The same thing can be said about client side scripts and the reason why I have't even bothered to try it. They're nice for login screens but as soon as you grow a bit you start to get into management hell and everything turns into an ugly clusterf*.

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 13, 2017, 12:33 PMOne thing I don't like is that it is just as hard and hacky to implement a Discord bot here as the official plugin.

I'm currently in the process of creating a libuv module. However, this might take some time because there's no playing around with Squirrel and threads and also with their differences on memory management. There might be some issues here and there until I understand how libuv works. But I hope everything will go as smooth as possible. I've just started on it tonight and so far I've only got the basic layout of how I'll proceed with the whole implementation. Here's the libuv timer that I just exposed a few moments ago to test whether the approach that I'm taking is functional:

Let's hope the remaining things go as smooth as this basic prototype did so far.

Quote from: Drake on Jun 13, 2017, 05:53 PMIs the performance reasonable? No, instead it's the server which bottlenecks the plugin.

I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I haven't reached that stage. But I'll take it as a good sign.

I'm glad the plugin is stable enough for a public server. Some people asked me about that and I thought my answer to them could be biased. So that's why you see this topic here.

Even though the plugin itself is just a bunch of hackish pieces of code glued together as I figured out what I needed during the development. And as I was learning stuff. At least it works. And decently enough it seems.

I've started working on a 2.0 rewrite that would keep the same API so nothing would break, but the actual implementation would be better. However, as time wen't on, I got into other things and I stopped working on it. And I doubt I'll do it anytime in the near future. Vcmp is just not worth the effort anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: . on Jun 15, 2017, 03:00 AMThe same thing can be said about client side scripts and the reason why I have't even bothered to try it. They're nice for login screens but as soon as you grow a bit you start to get into management hell and everything turns into an ugly clusterf*.

I have a WIP to help you in that case.