Help on VCMP Scripting Limitations

Started by GangstaRas, Jul 30, 2017, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: GangstaRas on Aug 01, 2017, 12:10 AMAnother question that I have (I'm assuming this one is very possible based on what I'm seeing). I would like to also have the ability to tilt vehicles along each axis (x axis rotation would lean the front/back of vehicle up or down, y axis rotation would perform like a barrel roll, z axis is your typical north south east west compass rotation).

This tilt function would operate ONLY if the vehicle is in mid-air. This would be binded to key combinations. There's a way to detect if something is not in contact to the ground correct?
Yes, raytrace to -20 Z and check the distance between where it hit and where it is.

GangstaRas

Bump, new question.

I noticed in wheels.dff that they have multiple models of wheels representing each type that can be used by vehicles in game. Then you just choose which model you want in the XML data.

• Suppose I make some of my own custom wheels that I add to objects.xml, using its custom model ID in the vehicle's XML data will work? If not, how would I go about it?
  • I would also like to extend the idea to custom body parts of a vehicle (hood, bumpers, spoilers etc.) that I may choose to replace the stock versions.

The end result is to basically have a mod shop similar to what you could do in GTA SA when customizing lowriders. Possible or nah?

aXXo

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Aug 01, 2017, 05:33 AM
Quote from: GangstaRas on Aug 01, 2017, 12:10 AMAnother question that I have (I'm assuming this one is very possible based on what I'm seeing). I would like to also have the ability to tilt vehicles along each axis (x axis rotation would lean the front/back of vehicle up or down, y axis rotation would perform like a barrel roll, z axis is your typical north south east west compass rotation).

This tilt function would operate ONLY if the vehicle is in mid-air. This would be binded to key combinations. There's a way to detect if something is not in contact to the ground correct?
Yes, raytrace to -20 Z and check the distance between where it hit and where it is.
The video on that thread is down now, but I think this is what you meant:
http://forum.vc-mp.org/?topic=391.0

NicusorN5

Quote from: GangstaRas on Sep 05, 2017, 05:22 PMBump, new question.

I noticed in wheels.dff that they have multiple models of wheels representing each type that can be used by vehicles in game. Then you just choose which model you want in the XML data.

• Suppose I make some of my own custom wheels that I add to objects.xml, using its custom model ID in the vehicle's XML data will work? If not, how would I go about it?
  • I would also like to extend the idea to custom body parts of a vehicle (hood, bumpers, spoilers etc.) that I may choose to replace the stock versions.

The end result is to basically have a mod shop similar to what you could do in GTA SA when customizing lowriders. Possible or nah?
1.) MVL supports custom wheels. U need to make them in your model editor.

2.)You can attach custom objects w/ no collision to the vehicles.

GangstaRas

Now, next hard question, read carefully. I have an idea that would probably be more suited for vehicles than anything else (in terms of accurate results) but give me your feedback on if its possible or even practical.

I would eventually want to make some type of lag compensator. Maybe not necessary, a simpler countdown synced properly to individual's pings could do some situations but I wanna truly know limits.

By my understanding of lag compensation in the traditional fashion, is just some fancy assessment & data comparison of past events where the host server validates your slower experience (due to your ping) to the faster experience (what the host server sees in that space of time) of the game world by rewinding the faster fabric of time to your delay to accept or reject hitmarkers that were on point for you. But that's not what I want to do.

What I want to do is to extrapolate a player's movement by actively adjusting the packet data of the slower recipient so that it's in sync with what the host server receives in that space of time. So say my ping is 300 ms, I would extrapolate the movements of whomever else is in the server by 300 ms to keep me in sync. The parameters I'd use are speed, acceleration, last pressed keys (maybe angle along with this) and ping of yourself. Tick rate for this would maybe be 100 to 200 ms, idk, but reaction time of us is taken into account which is anywhere from 160 to 270 ms. So, sounds possible? and if yes line me up on the impracticality and inefficiencies.

Shadow

The server and client already do lag compensation on both vehicles and players by extrapolation. Also, you will never be able to compensate the lag using scripts in a fashionable way.
QuotePS:is trash is ur home language??

GangstaRas

Bump. New stumbling block. This is a hard one.

I've gotten ambitious over the last couple of months and decided to get into map designs. Have a look at this image:

Pay your attention to where it says "Profile" within the body of the rendered scene in the top left. I was wondering if was possible to dig this deep into the game engine through scripts to get this kind of data, to fetch the latency of struggling pipelines in the engine, particularly physics, and logic and GPU latency. If not scripts, but is possible, what method do you suggest? The closest thing to this kind of example is F6 stats for those that may be unfamiliar with what I really mean.