Vice City: Multiplayer
VC:MP Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Inferno on January 26th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Been Using Pickup.Timer = time in milliseconds?
Here are some observations and assumptions regarding it.
- Having 7-8 Pickups in range of 50m which are set to respawn by pickup.Respawn, usually cause certain memory leaks which either lags the server or specific players near these pickups and rarely even both. This phenomenon may be same for more or less pickups.
- I had first observed this in VCCnR at mall, where majority of people ( with average or bad internet and some with good even ) would lag in mall, as robber or as cop. The mall had 9 respawning pickups. It might be because more than 3 4 pickups are being set to respawn by default function which is causing memory leak or sending players in range of 50m to pickups, some packets ( an assumption ).
- Why do i think its related to Pickup.Respawn? Well i tested non-respawning pickups in range of 25m , and placed 12 pickups without respawn ability. There was no memory leak or lag even when each pickup had one player standing on it. This certain gives an impression about pickup.Timer causing that lag.
- When you are getting such lag by this, setting your world to some other world than these pickups, the lag fades away rapidly ( only if it is not your internet being bad but script lag )
- Since, pickup.Respawn has inbuilt timer, my assumption is that, it was much ignored in development and this is an unnoticed memory leak/lag leak. ( assumption )
- I have tested it elsewhere than VCCNR as well. Added 10 respawning wep pickups at loc BF and asked some players to pick some of them, and after a few moments, everyone in that area started having high jitre but players away from that area were fine and had no lag. ( Observation )
- These are some observations and assumptions regarding this function. Calculations of pickups to reproduce the bug might be wrong, but these memory leaks still exist. Couldnt gather the videos showing that since my laptop is running vcmp at 20-40 fps least and wont handle recorder.
https://forum.vc-mp.org/?topic=8307 ( custom pickup timer )
This might seem why RCNR kept crashing? It was full with respawing pickups.
Because , 10 respawning pickups lag where 10 non-respawning doesnt.
And it increases with increase of pickups.
Another test showed that having 18 Respawning pickups at Loc BF when more than 3 4 are claimed by players, horribly lagged the server and crashed it within minutes.