[VCMP] Squirrel zero-to-hero guide

Started by EK.IceFlake, Feb 01, 2015, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK.IceFlake

Hi guys. I have been making a website about VCMP, and in it I have included an incomplete zero-to-hero manual which I am completing. If you want to check it out, use this link: http://vc-mp.weebly.com/learn-squirrel.html . If you want to help in this, register an account on weebly and post your weebly details (not including password) and I will set you as an editor. For help/suggestions, feel free to reply!

Thijn

You're on your second page, and already making false statements:
QuoteSquirrel has a syntax similar to C++. Both use round brackets < ( ) > to include variables, curly brackets < { } > to include functions and equals < = > to set variables and double equals < == > to get variables.

Since when does round brackets "include" variables, whatever that means.
Double equals does not get you variables, it checks if the two are equal.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Thijn on Feb 01, 2015, 12:05 PMYou're on your second page, and already making false statements:
QuoteSquirrel has a syntax similar to C++. Both use round brackets < ( ) > to include variables, curly brackets < { } > to include functions and equals < = > to set variables and double equals < == > to get variables.

Since when does round brackets "include" variables, whatever that means.
Double equals does not get you variables, it checks if the two are equal.
I meant that. Check next page for better explanation. If it isnt there, I will fix it. And by include, I mean inside it are variables. (actually it is a mistake, it should be values.) Thanks.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 01, 2015, 12:18 PMMore like "zero-to-confused" :D No offense but you shouldn't teach others when you barely know what you're talking about your self. I honestly appreciate the initiative because it's better than nothing but in it's current state is rather confusing then helpful.
If you point out the confusing things, I will fix them. Thanks.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 01, 2015, 12:18 PMMore like "zero-to-confused" :D No offense but you shouldn't teach others when you barely know what you're talking about your self. I honestly appreciate the initiative because it's better than nothing but in it's current state is rather confusing then helpful.

EDIT:

Anyone wishing to learn Squirrel simply go to these helpful websites:

This content is based on Squirrel for VCMP instead of Squirrel. Thats why people'd rather use this if they want to script for VCMP. Thanks.

Thijn

In order to script for VCMP in Squirrel, they need to learn squirrel first...

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Thijn on Feb 01, 2015, 01:09 PMIn order to script for VCMP in Squirrel, they need to learn squirrel first...
It is mainly just learning normal squirrel, just optimized for learning to script in VCMP.

Fuzzie

Honestly, it looks like you just copied the Squirrel manual. And I'd rather use the manual which has examples than just some text explaining the language.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 01:24 PM
Quote from: Thijn on Feb 01, 2015, 01:09 PMIn order to script for VCMP in Squirrel, they need to learn squirrel first...
It is mainly just learning normal squirrel, just optimized for learning to script in VCMP.

What? I don't see how 'optimizing' something is going to run from the fact you need to learn how the Squirrel language itself works. There is nothing about the Squirrel language that requires 'optimization' to understand how the VC-MP 0.4 Squirrel server works.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 12:27 PM

Your idea itself is confusing.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Fuzzie on Feb 01, 2015, 02:38 PMHonestly, it looks like you just copied the Squirrel manual. And I'd rather use the manual which has examples than just some text explaining the language.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 01:24 PM

What? I don't see how 'optimizing' something is going to run from the fact you need to learn how the Squirrel language itself works. There is nothing about the Squirrel language that requires 'optimization' to understand how the VC-MP 0.4 Squirrel server works.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 12:27 PM

Your idea itself is confusing.
Examples to be done in the next section
Optimized for 0.4 means that it doesnt include functions that don't suit VC-MP and it includes non-native-squirrel functions that are in 0.4. And it is, later, going to have a tutorial on how to set up the squirrel server.
And with the manual thing, ye I saw it on squirrel manual but I explain it more. Squirrel manual is a chunky piece of text which is to beginners like what is chinese to english speakers.

Fuzzie

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMExamples to be done in the next section
Optimized for 0.4 means that it doesnt include functions that don't suit VC-MP and it includes non-native-squirrel functions that are in 0.4.
Can you point some VC-MP only Squirrel functions cause I can tell from my experience that the Squirrel the VCMP server uses is not different than the normal Squirrel language.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMExamples to be done in the next section
Since you said suggestions are welcomed, I suggest you just include the examples in the same section/page so that users won't get confused.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMSquirrel manual is a chunky piece of text
Because it's a manual that is suppose to contain details about the Squirrel language.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMwhich is to beginners like what is chinese to english speakers.

Racist much? Unnecessary reference is unnecessary especially if you are going to use statements which some would consider it to be offensive. I'm not a Chinese and I don't speak Chinese (but I do understand a bit of Chinese) but I can tell you that there are many English speakers in my country and the world who understands Chinese even if they are not Chinese themselves. So check your facts.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Fuzzie on Feb 01, 2015, 03:35 PM
Optimized for 0.4 means that it doesnt include functions that don't suit VC-MP and it includes non-native-squirrel functions that are in 0.4.
Can you point some VC-MP only Squirrel functions cause I can tell from my experience that the Squirrel the VCMP server uses is not different than the normal Squirrel language.

Since you said suggestions are welcomed, I suggest you just include the examples in the same section/page so that users won't get confused.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMSquirrel manual is a chunky piece of text
Because it's a manual that is suppose to contain details about the Squirrel language.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 01, 2015, 02:50 PMwhich is to beginners like what is chinese to english speakers.

Racist much? Unnecessary reference is unnecessary especially if you are going to use statements which some would consider it to be offensive. I'm not a Chinese and I don't speak Chinese (but I do understand a bit of Chinese) but I can tell you that there are many English speakers in my country and the world who understands Chinese even if they are not Chinese themselves. So check your facts.
It is just an example. I mean thats how the manual seems to people. English people who speak only english (or any other language besides english) find chinese difficult (no offence/racism to english speakers!). Or another way of saying: The squirrel manual (official) seems like what gibberish seems like to normal people who never understanded/knew gibberish. No racism here. Just an example.
Ok I will include the examples in the page.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 02, 2015, 01:47 PM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 02, 2015, 11:18 AMThe squirrel manual (official) seems like what gibberish seems like to normal people who never understanded/knew gibberish.
I still dont understand the point you are trying to explain.

Fuzzie

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 02, 2015, 02:53 PM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 02, 2015, 02:28 PMI still dont understand the point you are trying to explain.

I still don't understand why you quoted that entire post :-\ The point is that: It took me years to actually get the grasp of programming and to actually afford my self to give advices. And you start making this thing that supposedly teaches new scriptwriters something when in fact you have no idea of what you're writing. And somehow you claim that it's better than the original documentation. The documentation which you consider "gibberish". The reason you find that documentation to be "gibberish" is that you have no idea of what's happening behind the things you program.

That thing is supposed to give an idea to someone interested in programming of the various stages that someone goes and how much time of experimenting it takes to actually know how to program something. And what happens when you skip the basics and go straight into programming and expect to realize something.

I agree with S.L.C. The manual is there for a reason and I personally learned a lot from it. Not taking time to read the manual is one's own fault. Programming isn't just about learning the keywords and knowing how to do something without understanding why something is what it is. Yes, the codes in your examples are correct but they don't explain much about the keywords.

Plus, you still haven't explained to us what is so different about Squirrel in VC-MP. I have been coding for 5 years now, 4 years of Squirrel and I have yet to find anything different about Squirrel in VC-MP than the normal Squirrel (I believe I mentioned this like 3 times now?). This just proves that you don't know what you are talking about and you don't know the language any better.

No offense. This is a good effort and I like the idea but until you actually know the language in and out, I suggest you put this project on hold. New comers are going to struggle from this if you give one wrong information. Being a self taught programmer who have taught some of my friends programming myself, I know the responsibility of actually delivering the right info.

You can go ahead with your tutorial if you want to but I wouldn't recommend this to any newcomers who wants to learn and understand Squirrel.

Edit:
To prove my point that you don't know the language yourself (or programming for that matter), I found something that to me, is a big mistake.

QuoteLocal name < local n > is used to create private variables which can be used only in that block. Less than minus < <- > is used to create public variables

I've worked with Object-Oriented Programming in both C++ and PHP so I know what I'm talking about. The local keyword is used to declare a variable locally and it's value is only accessible within it's declared scope. The <- pointer is used to declare a variable globally and is not affected by any scope. The private, public (and protected) are all keywords in other programming languages and their terms should not be misused to avoid confusion among new programmers.

Teaching people the wrong code will yield the following result: Can't Fix Error in my Program  ( Hint: You must know C++ to get the joke :D )

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 02, 2015, 02:53 PM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 02, 2015, 02:28 PMI still dont understand the point you are trying to explain.
It is not anywhere near gibberish. That was an example. And, I, myself, ain't very good in squirrel. But I am about to teach the basics of squirrel that I know. And the vcmp squirrel thing, vcmp is all for vcmp functions. Not the language itself, actually.
Yes I know about the private and public thing, but in almost all the languages I know, private variables are only shown in the block of code and all codes which are inside that code. And in them, public variables are globally open. Just different ways of saying something.