Prevent chat messages from disappearing

Started by TheMallard, Feb 15, 2016, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMallard

Hello everyone!
Is this possible to prevent chat messages from disappearing?
Can you create a setting for this?
This is really annoying, because there is no dialogs in VCMP, so the chat is the only method for information to stay at the screen for a long time, but since messages are disappearing, this is impossible.

KAKAN

You can create textdraws :)

Here is the format:-
CreateTextdraw( string szText, int x, int y, colour{ 0xAARRGGBB } )
Here's an example of textdraw( i have full HD monitor )
Yucker <- CreateTextdraw("Sample text",200,200,0xFFFFFFFF );
Yucker.SetRelativeForAll( true );
Untested
oh no

Use announcements:

Announce("daaaaayuuuuuummmn son!", da_player); // default style
Announce("daaaaayuuuuuummmn son!", da_player, 5); // specific style
// http://wiki.vc-mp.org/wiki/Game_Text_Codes_and_Styles

Or use Textdraws for a more permanent solution.

TheMallard

Yeah, I know about these features. But I want to use the Unicode support plugin, but there is no fonts for Russian, Chinese (ha-ha, Chinese font for Vice City) and other languages, so I think that only chat will be supported by this plugin.

Then you should've specified that from the beginning. Don't you think?

TheMallard

I was just talking about chat in general: is it possible to prevent chat messages from dissappearing and can VCMP developers add a feature to disable it.

KAKAN

Quote from: TheMallard on Feb 15, 2016, 01:38 PMI was just talking about chat in general: is it possible to prevent chat messages from dissappearing and can VCMP developers add a feature to disable it.
Use textdraws, VCMP devs won't add everything. But, I like the disappearing chats :D
oh no

You peoplez aks some of the most useless features.

Stormeus

1. The console can be expanded to see past messages anyway.
2. The time it takes for chat messages to disappear is a client-side setting. If it's so short that your players wouldn't be able to read it, they'd increase it.
3. Chat is a bad place in general for a menu. Use textdraws like other people have suggested (and already done).

aXXo

Quotecon_disappear

Description
The amount of time, in seconds, it takes for each message in the console to disappear.

Allowed Values
Any whole number (at least 0)

Note
Hidden messages can be seen by expanding the console (see: con_openkey). Setting this to 0 disables disappearing messages.
/setconfig con_disappear 0
should help you.

TheMallard