Unicode support in VCMP

Started by ysc3839, Feb 03, 2016, 05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysc3839

I'm trying to wirte a plugin that hooks VCMP's draw text function to make VCMP supports Unicode. And I will open the source code after I finished. :)
Now I wonder if this is allowed? @Stormeus

Murdock

As long you won't show how to actually inject other dll files in the game or make it possible for someone to load a different file, because that wouldn't be appreciated.

Not speaking on behalf of Stormeus, just giving my opinion

KakaroT

Quote from: Murdock on Feb 03, 2016, 06:26 AMAs long you won't show how to actually inject other dll files in the game or make it possible for someone to load a different file, because that wouldn't be appreciated.

Yes. Or we gonna have bunch of more hacks right after you show how to do it.

Thijn

I'm wondering how you plan on sending the chat to the server and keep clients without the plugin compatible.

Quote from: Thijn on Feb 03, 2016, 06:51 AMI'm wondering how you plan on sending the chat to the server and keep clients without the plugin compatible.

Ha, that's going to be a tall wall.

ysc3839

Quote from: Murdock on Feb 03, 2016, 06:26 AMAs long you won't show how to actually inject other dll files in the game or make it possible for someone to load a different file, because that wouldn't be appreciated.

Do you mean you want me to tell you how this plugin inject into the game? Currently this plugins is unfinished, I use a loader write by myself to test it. I will find a good way for users in the future. :D

ysc3839

Quote from: Thijn on Feb 03, 2016, 06:51 AMI'm wondering how you plan on sending the chat to the server and keep clients without the plugin compatible.
I haven't considered typing Unicode char. Just show Unicode char. And it's really a big problem when clients haven't installed the plugin. I think server can let users change the language.

Stormeus

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:03 AM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 03, 2016, 06:20 AMI got the font bitmap from VCMP. You can see "á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü" in it. Why not support them?

Because the client uses the Windows-1252 codepage for the font bitmap whereas the server does not uses CP1252 so the server's character mappings won't map to the client's if we don't restrict everything to ANSI.

Kindly do not do this. Full Unicode is a tall order in itself and there are many characters in it which can break text rendering entirely and probably fuck up the server.

ysc3839

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:05 AM
Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:03 AM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 03, 2016, 06:20 AMI got the font bitmap from VCMP. You can see "á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü" in it. Why not support them?

Because the client uses the Windows-1252 codepage for the font bitmap whereas the server does not uses CP1252 so the server's character mappings won't map to the client's if we don't restrict everything to ANSI.

Kindly do not do this. Full Unicode is a tall order in itself and there are many characters in it which can break text rendering entirely and probably fuck up the server.
I want to have a try.

Stormeus

Go for it, if you somehow get it to work on all fronts then I'd be impressed, though even if it does work it would definitely not be the ideal approach.

ysc3839

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:16 AMGo for it, if you somehow get it to work on all fronts then I'd be impressed, though even if it does work it would definitely not be the ideal approach.
Thanks for you understanding! ;D

KAKAN

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:16 AMGo for it, if you somehow get it to work on all fronts then I'd be impressed, though even if it does work it would definitely not be the ideal approach.
Yeah, that would be great if we add Unicode support in VCMP. We can add different languages :)
oh no

Stormeus

Quote from: KAKAN on Feb 03, 2016, 08:50 AM
Yeah, that would be great if we add Unicode support in VCMP. We can add different languages :)
Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 04:23 AMWe'd mostly have to redo the way that we draw text since we're currently just using bitmaps, and a Unicode bitmap would be gigantic — too big to store in memory. There'd also be some really annoying netcode changes.

It wouldn't be impossible; I've tried experimenting with FreeType but I've yet to get that working.

ysc3839

The first screenshot!
Also I wonder hot to make it like VCMP's text.

Anik

Will you add all kind of languages?