Force client to take a screenshot

Started by krystianoo, Jun 18, 2017, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What you're asking can be put in a simple story like this:

Imagine me installing a photo device in your house. In which I have no jurisdiction and neither any control over what happens. If you or any of your friends smart enough or have watched a movie you can put a static photo in front of that camera to make me see what you want me to see. Making the camera as useless as a potato (maybe less).

That's how anti-cheating that relies on the client to be trustworthy works. Google the meaning of "pipe dream".

krystianoo

Quote from: . on Jun 18, 2017, 02:04 PMWhat you're asking can be put in a simple story like this:

Imagine me installing a photo device in your house. In which I have no jurisdiction and neither any control over what happens. If you or any of your friends smart enough or have watched a movie you can put a static photo in front of that camera to make me see what you want me to see. Making the camera as useless as a potato (maybe less).

That's how anti-cheating that relies on the client to be trustworthy works. Google the meaning of "pipe dream".

Ok. I will put my words in a simple story too:

Nobody in VCMP is smart enough to accomplish what you have described.

Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 02:26 PM
Quote from: . on Jun 18, 2017, 02:04 PMWhat you're asking can be put in a simple story like this:

Did you just admitted that VCMP players (including you) are dumber than a potato? According to that little story. Dude, speak for yourself. Don't make that claim in the name of others.

krystianoo

Quote from: . on Jun 18, 2017, 02:34 PM
Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 02:26 PM

Did you just admitted that VCMP players (including you) are dumber than a potato? According to that little story. Dude, speak for yourself. Don't make that claim in the name of others.

I wouldn't expect people whose peak of their skill is editing memory addresses found on the internet or using a Speed Gear program to increase their speed ingame to be able to do what you've described.

But then again, it's pointless to talk with someone who probably has never even opened VCMP 0.4.

What I suggested will help in detecting wall hackers and greenless mod users. Unless you claim otherwise, I see no point in continuing further.

Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 02:49 PMI see no point in continuing further.

Me neither. Like I said. I have nothing against adding this. But it won't be long until people will fine a way to go against it and make it as useless as a potato.

KAKAN

oh no

Stormeus

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 18, 2017, 01:52 PM
Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 01:43 PMthey use Speed Gear
Prove speed gear exists.

Google "Speed Gear," it's not hard to prove.

I thought about adding this before but the major blocking issue would've been sending the photo back to the server. They'd have to be stored on the server side, which is a problem if space is limited, and the bandwidth required to upload the file could alert the user if they have limited bandwidth (and even if they don't).

Forcing the client to store the screenshot would also be an issue because this would become​ a kind of slowhacking, even if only for this purpose:

https://developer.steampowered.com/wiki/Admin_Slowhacking

krystianoo

Quote from: Stormeus on Jun 18, 2017, 05:47 PM
Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 18, 2017, 01:52 PM
Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 01:43 PMthey use Speed Gear
Prove speed gear exists.

Google "Speed Gear," it's not hard to prove.

I thought about adding this before but the major blocking issue would've been sending the photo back to the server. They'd have to be stored on the server side, which is a problem if space is limited, and the bandwidth required to upload the file could alert the user if they have limited bandwidth (and even if they don't).

Forcing the client to store the screenshot would also be an issue because this would become​ a kind of slowhacking, even if only for this purpose:

https://developer.steampowered.com/wiki/Admin_Slowhacking

I choose the locally-stored screenshot option.

Everything is abusable, so I think worrying about 'slowhacking' is being too paranoid.

The client would get notified that he saved a screenshot.

Good luck trying to 'add' bushes or hide wallhack visible in a screenshot.

EK.IceFlake

Why can't a player take another screenshot after pressing a button to disable that mod and use that instead?
I don't see this idea going anywhere.

krystianoo

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 18, 2017, 06:23 PMWhy can't a player take another screenshot after pressing a button to disable that mod and use that instead?

Because I assume you could have those hash-checks to see whether the screenshot is the same as when taken or not..

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: krystianoo on Jun 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 18, 2017, 06:23 PMWhy can't a player take another screenshot after pressing a button to disable that mod and use that instead?

Because I assume you could have those hash-checks to see whether the screenshot is the same as when taken or not..
That is, again, relying on a trustworthy client as @. pointed out.

vito1

Cheats vs anti-cheats  is endless war. Nobody able to win for sure.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: vito1 on Jun 18, 2017, 06:33 PMCheats vs anti-cheats  is endless war. Nobody able to win for sure.
You can have game logic server-side ;)
Would completely devastate sync though.

vito1

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jun 18, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote from: vito1 on Jun 18, 2017, 06:33 PMCheats vs anti-cheats  is endless war. Nobody able to win for sure.
You can have game logic server-side ;)
Would completely devastate sync though.
One still able to use bot/script via hardware/virtual PC.
(keybinds for glitching/gaming mouse for aiming stuff for exmaple)

PunkNoodle

If the reason this topic was created is just to counteract Greenless mod, then I think devs can surely find better solutions. LU has a check on some game files, that while being theoretically bypassable, nobody did that. If there was a similar check on gta3.img, every modded model or texture would be kept at bay.