Is hosting a vcmp server risky? Can I get virus or any attacks on my PC?

Started by Remu, Jul 03, 2016, 06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remu

I hosted a vcmp server . I turn it on when I play it. I only play it. My Brother told me to delete that server bcos of risk of getting virus to my pc. I and my bro use same computer. SO I  want to know whether my computer be vulnerable to virus / any malicious attacks on my pc. If this pc got virus I can't buy a new one

Is it risky?

EK.IceFlake

I don't know where did he remotely got an idea of getting a virus on your PC from a VCMP server.

Remu

Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 08:10 AMI don't know where did he remotely got an idea of getting a virus on your PC from a VCMP server.
I know None can send virus through vcmp -game but While The Server is On, If anyone sent any virus or attacked my pc?

vito

Any connection to internet is a risk. If you have server - you're making your IP more popular to be attacked, also (any) server may contain vulnerability, so more servers running at your PC - more risk. But usually people infected himself PC by *.exe, *.pdf, ms office files, browsing with IE and so on.
And no guarantee you will be safe and not infected. Just keep back up of important data on hdd in your cupboard and don't worry about viruses.

Remu

Quote from: vito on Jul 03, 2016, 08:29 AMAny connection to internet is a risk. If you have server - you're making your IP more popular to be attacked, also (any) server may contain vulnerability, so more servers running at your PC - more risk. But usually people infected himself PC by *.exe, *.pdf, ms office files, browsing with IE and so on.
And no guarantee you will be safe and not infected. Just keep back up of important data on hdd in your cupboard and don't worry about viruses.

Thanks. BTW is there any other way to host the server on any other remote servers like serversfree.com like free hosting ?

vito

I personally don't know any free vps hosting, but as I know it's exists. You can try drake's free hosting http://forum.vc-mp.org/?board=25.0

ysc3839

As the developers say "should an exploit be found in the server". But I think nobody would spend his time finding this exploit.

Syndicate^

Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 10:43 AMAs the developers say "should an exploit be found in the server". But I think nobody would spend his time finding this exploit.

Oops, your computer just loaded that image. Which means I just infected your computer. And the only way to get rid of it is to close this topic, delete your account and forget about this place.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 10:43 AMAs the developers say "should an exploit be found in the server". But I think nobody would spend his time finding this exploit.
That's exactly why you are not to run a server as root. If you want to host a server use these commands:
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
now you can do any shit and you wont manage to hurt your pc at all
[but this is only for Linux]

ysc3839

Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:14 PM
That's exactly why you are not to run a server as root. If you want to host a server use these commands:
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
On Windows, just turn on UAC.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
Well, it'll still have access to your personal files. You should run it in a virtual machine if on windows.

vito

Quote from: . on Jul 03, 2016, 03:17 PMOops, your computer just loaded that image. Which means I just infected your computer. And the only way to get rid of it is to close this topic, delete your account and forget about this place.
Using favicon in IE actually did hack in 2010 xD http://www.securitylab.ru/analytics/395926.php

ysc3839

Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:37 PM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
Well, it'll still have access to your personal files. You should run it in a virtual machine if on windows.
Creating a new user can prevent this.

Thijn

Or just don't host a server on a computer that has personal of sensitive information on it...