Downloaded Files

Started by Opulance, May 14, 2016, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opulance

Hi Guyz,
            I have just checked the folder of downloaded files of servers.Can we use these objects?

You can use them. The question is. Should I use them? More specifically. Should I use them without permission from the author?

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: . on May 14, 2016, 02:36 PMYou can use them. The question is. Should I use them? More specifically. Should I use them without permission from the author?
Yes! I should! I want freedom!

Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on May 14, 2016, 02:37 PMYes! I should! I want freedom!

I was going to reply with a strong "f* your freedom". But then I realized that wouldn't solve much. So let's try the other way. Let's say that you're working on a home made ice cream and you put all your effort into it. After hours of work you go outside and try to enjoy your ice cream. I mean, you worked so hard on it. You can barely wait. So here comes this dude, slaps you in the face and takes your ice cream. And you ask him with a stupid face "Why?" And he replies "Freedom baby!".

Which brings me to my point. Just because you can do something. Doesn't mean you should.

You are free to do a lot of things. You are free to create things. You are free to share things that you create. But you are not free to steal the work of other people. Because at that point. Where's the freedom of the guy that created the thing you stole? Where's his freedom to share his work safely?

Think about how selfish you sound next time you say that.

Mötley

S.L.C is do you think it is possible in client files to go into another person's user files with wb+ and corrupt the image after its already been loaded into the game?

Quote from: Mötley on May 14, 2016, 03:03 PMS.L.C is do you think it is possible in client files to go into another person's user files with wb+ and corrupt the image after its already been loaded into the game?

No. All I/O functionality was stripped from the standard library. You can't do anything that interacts with files other than use dofile() to load scripts or similar functionality. And even then, the path is locked to the 'script' folder.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: . on May 14, 2016, 02:46 PM
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on May 14, 2016, 02:37 PMYes! I should! I want freedom!

I was going to reply with a strong "f* your freedom". But then I realized that wouldn't solve much. So let's try the other way. Let's say that you're working on a home made ice cream and you put all your effort into it. After hours of work you go outside and try to enjoy your ice cream. I mean, you worked so hard on it. You can barely wait. So here comes this dude, slaps you in the face and takes your ice cream. And you ask him with a stupid face "Why?" And he replies "Freedom baby!".

Which brings me to my point. Just because you can do something. Doesn't mean you should.

You are free to do a lot of things. You are free to create things. You are free to share things that you create. But you are not free to steal the work of other people. Because at that point. Where's the freedom of the guy that created the thing you stole? Where's his freedom to share his work safely?

Think about how selfish you sound next time you say that.
It's not stealing the icecream. It's creating another copy of it.

Mötley

What we need is the ability to place the objects into something like a .rar file. the server first downloads the file format passworded .rar file etc then gets the file from the .rar file. then maybe for security a console input on script load to allow usage of these files(this could be a module). so that way when the server is loading it still can not be downloaded unless the password is true.

Of course I have never attempted to place objects in a .rar file to see what happens when I attempt to get them server side. as I do not know the outcome after the files have downloaded.

*Years ago I use to know how to hide files inside of a fake image and use certain techniques to get the files and pictures etc out of the fake picture. **I used this in case of network attacks as it was common back in 2006.

*hear is a similar documentation. The fake image could be a server sprite. and maybe you could attempt to get the files server side from the jpeg
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/hide-file-in-picture/

KAKAN

Quote from: Mötley on May 14, 2016, 03:59 PM*Years ago I use to know how to hide files inside of a fake image and use certain techniques to get the files and pictures etc out of the fake picture. **I used this in case of network attacks as it was common back in 2006.
haha, I used that too :P

Well, there should be a option to encrypt files though. Yet, I still want to newbies to do that work, because that way I learned about different things and due to my curiosity, I learned how to create objects using 3DSMax and other :D

Still then, the user should ask the permission by the author before using them in his/her server
oh no

vito

Yes we want encrypt but it will not help in all cases.

Mötley

You should attempt to use the method I explained above as it is possible to confuse others

Quote*hear is a similar documentation. The fake image could be a server sprite. and maybe you could attempt to get the files server side from the jpeg

maxorator

If you don't want others to get your files, don't share them over the internet. Once you've transmitted them to another computer and included any possibility for it to decrypt them (which you must for them to be used), it's game over. Your files can be copied. Accept it.

No matter what kind of encryption or trickery is used, they will still exist in unencrypted form in the memory at some point. Since this is all that is needed to get the files, there is no point making any more complex system for protecting them.

On topic: If the files contain any original work from the server owners, then not without permission. In other cases, it depends. The authors for many mods available on the internet are not reachable anymore. Theoretically you should ask their permission, but practically, if they do not respond in some time, I would say it's acceptable to use them.

vito

Quote from: Mötley on May 14, 2016, 04:12 PMYou should attempt to use the method I explained above as it is possible to confuse others

Quote*hear is a similar documentation. The fake image could be a server sprite. and maybe you could attempt to get the files server side from the jpeg
vcmp can't read such type of data, so its offtopic.

Quote from: maxorator on May 14, 2016, 06:22 PMNo matter what kind of encryption or trickery is used, they will still exist in unencrypted form in the memory at some point. Since this is all that is needed to get the files, there is no point making any more complex system for protecting them.

It's just a matter of common sense. But let's be honest. Who has common sense here :P

Besides, what you're trying to explain requires the guy on the other side to actually know something about a computer other than 'click on stuff and see what happens'. This topic will come over and over and over. I'm just curious when it'll be mentioned next time.

vito

Quote from: . on May 14, 2016, 06:31 PMI'm just curious when it'll be mentioned next time.
In "Server & Plugin Updates" section, in feature's list:
Quoteencryption option for store folder was added

Who stealing files to use it on his servers? New server developers, very new. And they not able to bypass any protection.