Suggestion

Started by Kelvin Garcia Mendoza, Feb 03, 2016, 03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin Garcia Mendoza

I think it would be necessary to add new characters to the game chat, for example the letter "ñ" signs "¿<message>?" also the signs "¡<message>!" Also accented letters Example: " á é í ó ú" ah and letters with: ¨ Example: ä ë ï ö ü and others or any sign that takes. Please.

I did heard something about Unicode support in VCMP a while back. But I'm not sure how critical this feature is really. It is nice when you think about it but not so nice take into account the major changes that come with it. Well, Unicode can be used seamlessly with ASCII but that doesn't mean it's going to be an easy thing to implement.

Stormeus

We'd mostly have to redo the way that we draw text since we're currently just using bitmaps, and a Unicode bitmap would be gigantic — too big to store in memory. There'd also be some really annoying netcode changes.

It wouldn't be impossible; I've tried experimenting with FreeType but I've yet to get that working.

ysc3839

I got the font bitmap from VCMP. You can see "á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü" in it. Why not support them?

Stormeus

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 03, 2016, 06:20 AMI got the font bitmap from VCMP. You can see "á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü" in it. Why not support them?

Because the client uses the Windows-1252 codepage for the font bitmap whereas the server does not uses CP1252 so the server's character mappings won't map to the client's if we don't restrict everything to ANSI.

ysc3839

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 03, 2016, 07:03 AM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 03, 2016, 06:20 AMI got the font bitmap from VCMP. You can see "á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü" in it. Why not support them?

Because the client uses the Windows-1252 codepage for the font bitmap whereas the server does not uses CP1252 so the server's character mappings won't map to the client's if we don't restrict everything to ANSI.
Thanks! :)

Stormeus

Quote from: Kelvin Garcia Mendoza on Feb 03, 2016, 10:10 PMI have it different than yours :P

I'm pretty sure that's the actual game bitmap and not VC:MP's font bitmap. Unless you're actually using Pricedown as your console font, in which case, why?