The history of VCMP

Started by ysc3839, Feb 09, 2016, 07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DizzasTeR

* Doom_Kill3R pokes @Hanney, what happened next!

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 09, 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 09, 2016, 07:55 PM
Quote from: Miracle on Feb 09, 2016, 07:51 PMI remember there also have a  tool call V
iceCity:Online :D

VC-O pretty much disappeared. They had a Developer Preview years ago that even I participated in to see what it would be like. It looked promising but there were some major sync issues that I guess just caused the project to lose hope.

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 09, 2016, 07:53 PMAfter playing MTASA I deleted SAMP because MTASA has more functions than SAMP. And SAMP's official scripting language Pawn is difficult to use, which I think is for SoC systems, not for network gaming. I don't know why SAMP's developer selected Pawn at first. (maybe there was no another scripting language at that time I see, LUA was released in 1993 and Squirrel was in 2004)

I just imagine that they're a bunch of masochists considering they still do everything through the SCM interface too.
Maybe for performance. However todays computers' performance is very good.
GTA's builtin scripting engine also called "SCM", which is difficult to use too.

BTW I rembered 2 years ago, a people said "VCMP 0.4 and MTASA is very sucks, VCMP 0.3 and SAMP is very good". His reason is that VCMP 0.4 and MTASA doesn't support CLEO. ;D (He is a hacker had been banned from most Chinese VCMP servers.)
I successfully loaded CLEO into VCMP a few days ago, thanks to @George

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 10, 2016, 06:07 AM
Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 10, 2016, 06:01 AMThere are a ridiculous amount of Pawn preprocessor and language hacks that they had to custom-build to accomplish tasks as simple as concatenating string literals. Not even variables, just string literals.

Yeah, I remember a benchmark (continued here) of common scripting languages and PAWN suffered a huge hit when they've reached strings. Worst of the worst results when scaling. Simply because they're nothing but arrays of characters. I mean, yes, strings are technically arrays of characters but they shouldn't really be treated like that.

PAWN is magenta and turquoise (simple and asm).

I'd love to see a VCMP "Scripter" having to work in PAWN and cry that he can't: "SELCT " + name + ", " + pass + ", " + salt + ", " ...

Anyways, I'm going off-topic and I'm not a fan of that. So I'll stop here.
A few years ago we all dealt with pawn. We used strcat and
public joinstrings(stringone[256], stringtwo[256])
{
    new tempstring[256];
    format (tempstring, 256, "%s%s", stringone, stringtwo);
    return tempstring;
}
and stuff like that.
I haven't pwned myself for the last couple of years so this code might be incorrect.

ysc3839

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 11, 2016, 01:51 PM
Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 10, 2016, 06:07 AM
Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 10, 2016, 06:01 AMThere are a ridiculous amount of Pawn preprocessor and language hacks that they had to custom-build to accomplish tasks as simple as concatenating string literals. Not even variables, just string literals.

Yeah, I remember a benchmark (continued here) of common scripting languages and PAWN suffered a huge hit when they've reached strings. Worst of the worst results when scaling. Simply because they're nothing but arrays of characters. I mean, yes, strings are technically arrays of characters but they shouldn't really be treated like that.

PAWN is magenta and turquoise (simple and asm).

I'd love to see a VCMP "Scripter" having to work in PAWN and cry that he can't: "SELCT " + name + ", " + pass + ", " + salt + ", " ...

Anyways, I'm going off-topic and I'm not a fan of that. So I'll stop here.
A few years ago we all dealt with pawn. We used strcat and
{
    new tempstring[256];
    return tempstring;
}
and stuff like that.
I haven't pwned myself for the last couple of years so this code might be incorrect.
Pawn doesn't have strcat? I can't believe that

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Feb 11, 2016, 01:51 PMA few years ago we all dealt with pawn. We used strcat and
{
    new tempstring[256];
    return tempstring;
}
and stuff like that.

Well, not that but maters but it is. You're trying to join two arrays of 256 characters into a single array of 256 characters. 256+256=512 (+1 for null terminator)

And am I to assume that when you return 'tempstring', a copy of it is going to be created?

@Thijn you should probably lock this topic before I go off-topic again :P

Thijn