Replicating original content without permission

Started by ., Apr 01, 2016, 08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, I get asked this question A LOT. Basically, once in a while someone decides to ask me what he can do if he created certain resources for his server and someone else decides to copy that content without permission. And by that I mean that he created those resources (maps/models/vehicles/weapons/skins etc.) from scratch (almost from scratch since textures are a bit hard to create from scratch) and not just converted them from someone else or some other game. Because in that case you're not the owner of those things. Basically, something that can't be obtained unless copied explicitly. And downloaded files from both servers are a perfect match.

What can someone do in such situation? Since implementing some kind of reliable encryption is almost impossible (if not useless). Can he make some kind of appeal to remove the server from the master-list? Or at least something to convince that person to stop copying original resources from other servers.

I want to have this topic here so I can refer people to an official answer rather than speculating on what can be done and trying to explain every time that there's no such thing as reliable encryption in this case since the decryption key/pass-phrase would have to end-up on the client anyway.

Luis_Labarca

I try putting key with the 7z but does not work because as this blocked server should not charge not is that files cannot be locked and not to unlock the exect the third load them