Wiki suggestion

Started by T800, Feb 21, 2015, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T800

I'm about collecting scripting resources, tutorials, examples, ID references, etc. for offline usage (which actually, are mostly available on the wiki) and just found an interesting article, about PDF book generator features. Unfortunatelly, this applies only to Wikipedia engines, but not MediaWiki, what VC:MP wiki uses. Fortunatelly, after a short research, i also found this.
My question is, that would it be possible, to install something like that on the wiki, which would make us able to save it's entire content, for offline use?

[OFF]Stormeus, could you please check my PM and finally reply to it?[/OFF]

Kind regards,
T800

ysc3839

You are wrong! MediaWiki is used by Wikipedia!

Thijn

Wikipedia is a massive modified version of MediaWiki. Not everything that Wikipedia has, comes with MediaWiki.

I personally see absolutely no use for this. When do you actually need to store those references offline? And if you do, why not save the page as HTML and read it like you normally would?

T800

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 21, 2015, 04:10 PMYou are wrong! MediaWiki is used by Wikipedia!
Quote from: Thijn on Feb 21, 2015, 04:46 PMWikipedia is a massive modified version of MediaWiki. Not everything that Wikipedia has, comes with MediaWiki.
Alright, i admit, i was wrong in the matter, that both of them are based on the same engine, but - like Thijn said -, there are significant differences between them now. Agree? Anyways, this wasn't meant, as the main point of my post. Instead, it's like the followings below.

Quote from: Thijn on Feb 21, 2015, 04:46 PMI personally see absolutely no use for this. When do you actually need to store those references offline? And if you do, why not save the page as HTML and read it like you normally would?
I do, and probably alot of people too, because i think, it can be extremely useful in general, that you have a complex, but still basic offline guide (ID and/or function, events, their parameters, etc. references), when you'd like to script/code something, especially, when you're working on an offline environment.
For example, users (included me) and even some of the staff, of the deprecated versions of VC:MP were thinking the same way. Probably, thats the pure cause of the existence of the following old documentations too:
Weapon ID Listing (by Luke and VG)
Skin ID Listing (by Og_loc and VG)

There are more, but i think, now you got my point and the still present old-era people know, what i'm talking about.

But back to the recent wiki and Thijn's question. Yes, of course i could save a single page as a HTML (with its vital elements, like pictures, stylesheets, etc.), but why should i do like that, when it's also possible to save as PDF, while some browsers natively support PDF reading too? I could even create similar guides, like the above ones, which are compact and highly portable:
VC:MP 0.4 Skin ID Reference
Even with this, i'd make hundreds of PDF documents, if i'd like to save all of the useful informations on the wiki. Naturally, technically it'd be possible, to integrate individual pages, but it costs loads of time and effort, while saving even complete categories of the wiki in a book format (Book creating video tutorial), could be a simple and automated process and it requires only the presence of the Book Creator (or Collector) extension, on the wiki. So finally, why arguing about this, instead of simply helping people and thereby, indirectly subserve the growth of popularity of this mod?

T800

After 5 days of my last post, without any more answer, i'd like to inquire very kindly about (mainly asking wiki admins), is there a chance anytime in the relatively near future, for having this (or similar) extension on the wiki, or should i really start to collect and process every available, useful resource one by one, page by page?

Thijn

I still see no use for this. But for now here's a PDF of most of the pages. There's some pages that failed parsing, but they're not really that interesting anyways. Maxorator or Stormeus have to add this extension, so until they reply there's nothing we can do.

Clicky

File is 7Mb, so you better save it instead of opening it in your browser (Works here, but no guarantees :) )

Stormeus

Quote from: T800 on Feb 27, 2015, 02:19 PMAfter 5 days of my last post, without any more answer, i'd like to inquire very kindly about (mainly asking wiki admins), is there a chance anytime in the relatively near future, for having this (or similar) extension on the wiki, or should i really start to collect and process every available, useful resource one by one, page by page?

No, largely because I've lost access to the box and haven't figured out how or why. Depending on how much strain it puts on the server when I do regain access to it, I'll consider adding it.

Thijn

For public wiki's you can use a public rendering service (Which is the default), so wouldn't cause much strain instead of actually fetching the pages.