hilarious enb series effects

Started by Kewun, Nov 05, 2016, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kewun

holy fucking shit, this is what happend after i installed sweetfx and some enb shit

Well, the story here is that they're all trying to mess up with the sky-box. Eventually, no one got it. So now, there is no sky-box. Which means that the sky which was so nice to protect you from the void that is your video card is now gone.

Which means, you're just seeing whatever was in the buffer from the previous frame. Since there was nothing drawn on to it. Games use a mechanism called double buffering (sometimes triple buffering). What that means is that your in your video-card there are 2 canvases (3 for triple. duh) (actually they're called buffers but let's keep it simple). So what it does is it draws the next frame onto a hidden canvas wile showing you the canvas on which the previous frame was drawn. And when the next frame is done. It simply swaps the visible canvas with the hidden one which now contains the next frame that was just drawn. So then it proceeds onto drawing the next frame on to the other canvas which is now hidden. And it does this constantly.

What the video card doesn't do is to clear this hidden canvas. It simply draws over it. Ignoring what was there previously (i.e. the previous frame). And because there is no sky now. There is nothing to draw in that portion. So what you're seeing is stuff that was there from the previous frame. Because no one bothered to clear whatever was there. I mean why bother waste precious computing time to clear something you'll be drawing over anyway.

The interesting thing here is why is it blue. Not why the sky is blue. But why is everything else blue since there is no sky now. I'm guessing that the shaders which those mods are injecting, copy the canvas before it's swapped. Then apply some sort of filter on the original canvas. Probably to obtain some mask, for things like reflections, shadows, lightning and who knows what else. Then combines it with the actual backed up canvas to show you the final result. Games nowadays do this all the time. They create a dozen of copies of the back-buffer to apply effects on it and extract information from the frame.

Anyway, that's what you get for messing with too many old things at once.