is it any copyright in masterlist?

Started by vito, Dec 20, 2016, 12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vito

I have questions to admins of masterlist, if you aren't - ignore it.

1) If someone will make a copy of server's gameplay (unique for vc-mp, but not unique for other games) he will be banned in masterlist or not?
2) If someone will make a copy of unique maps (created using "custom objects" from SA and native from VC) he will be banned in masterlist or not? (don't tell me _mem part, it's useless in fact, it's only copyright question)

No, the "official" answer was always "copy everything you want from everyone you can. nobody cares.". Well, unless the official servers are involved :P That's when they get grumpy. For all other servers... meh.

I've never seen a single ban of anyone for copying entire servers or scripts or game-modes or anything. Just copy all you want. You won't get banned.

And if you get banned, you have the law on your side. After all, there's no explicit rule that prevents one from doing any of the aforementioned. Which means, that you literally cannot be legitimately banned on such grounds since there's no explicit rule against it.

The only bans I've seen were for abusing the master-list with spam servers and stuff.

DizzasTeR

I'm gonna sign a copyright infringement against you for taking a look at my scripts vito :D

vito

@SLC
Fake copy of an official server (XE) - copy of name of server or of script without name?

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Dec 20, 2016, 01:36 PMI'm gonna sign a copyright infringement against you for taking a look at my scripts vito :D
There is no any _mem script that I haven't seen, I think each coder should to do same to learn. Very sad to see how people thinks _mem files will protect their stuff. Anyway I've tested ideas how to protect scripts and it looks cool in wireshark, but static maps... no any chance to protect it, so I wonder here about copyright something.

However I still wait for any masterlist admin reply.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: vito on Dec 20, 2016, 03:03 PM@SLC
Fake copy of an official server (XE) - copy of name of server or of script without name?

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Dec 20, 2016, 01:36 PMI'm gonna sign a copyright infringement against you for taking a look at my scripts vito :D
There is no any _mem script that I haven't seen, I think each coder should to do same to learn. Very sad to see how people thinks _mem files will protect their stuff. Anyway I've tested ideas how to protect scripts and it looks cool in wireshark, but static maps... no any chance to protect it, so I wonder here about copyright something.

However I still wait for any masterlist admin reply.
I remember stormeus saying that even if LWs script was leaked and people were running the exact script, they wouldn't take it down unless they named their server "Littlewhiteys official server". Only the name is protected.

WHAT THE !@#$
Why do we even use -mem? Aren't we humans? Humans are (were) socialized animals the last time I checked.

AND WHAT THE FURTHER !@#$
Why are computers, then, allowed to see scripts, but not humans? Humans are (were) valued more than computers the last time I checked.

DizzasTeR

Crystal sometimes your bullshit is the worse to read. Firstly IT IS OUR RIGHT. You're social? then perhaps send me your car as well just because we are humans and we shouldn't value things over us right? Also don't forget to send me atleast $10K because humans > money last time I checked.

Your logic here makes no goddamn sense and please stop saying that we shouldn't protect our scripts. The only reason I see these bragging regarding not using mem extension is because you literally can't protect your scripts right now and if VCMP had a strong client-side script protection then you would be the first to come up and say stealing scripts is bad.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Dec 21, 2016, 09:08 AMCrystal sometimes your bullshit is the worse to read. Firstly IT IS OUR RIGHT. You're social? then perhaps send me your car as well just because we are humans and we shouldn't value things over us right?
I don't own a car, but I'll happily give you something if you ask for it. Also, a script is something that you could always make a copy of and give someone. A car isn't.
Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Dec 21, 2016, 09:08 AMAlso don't forget to send me atleast K because humans > money last time I checked.
That's not my point. It's like putting money in a big beautiful coat and people are roaming around naked without the ability to buy clothes.

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Dec 21, 2016, 09:08 AMYour logic here makes no goddamn sense and please stop saying that we shouldn't protect our scripts. The only reason I see these bragging regarding not using mem extension is because you literally can't protect your scripts right now and if VCMP had a strong client-side script protection then you would be the first to come up and say stealing scripts is bad.
WTAF? I could easily obfuscate my script and do many things that could protect my script and keep almost everything server-side, but I didn't because it's not fair.

Why could you give your script to others computers, but not themselves? Server-side scripts, before you start about them, you don't just give it to any computer either, as you store it on your own computers.