I wanna know

Started by GPappi, Jan 10, 2017, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPappi

Alright,  I have started to playing VCMP 4 years ago, since last 0.3 version, so, for the moment I'm interested to Scripting my own server just to knowledge, I don't want to Host it or anything like that, I'd just like to know how to Scripting but I have no idea from where start. I've downloaded Vice City Multiplayer 0.4 Blank Server and I got edited some things, as, translating to my language, changing chat colors, only that. But I have no idea how to add a command, being more specific, I don't know absolutely nothing about Scripts, but I wanna learn. Can anyone help me saying from where I should start?

EK.IceFlake

Well, you first need some basic knowledge of programming concepts. Try vb.net, it's very simple and although it won't teach you much about this syntax, it would teach you some fundamental principles. Then, either just observe some scripts and you'll probably get the hang of it or move onto a language which has a similar syntax to squirrel, such as C#, and then move on to, finally, squirrel.

vito

Start from javascript with your own browser

jWeb

Have you tried googling "intro to programming" or even on youtube? Programming concepts are the same in each language. What changes are the some of the keywords and syntax. A condition or a loop has the same meaning everywhere. How can you expect to get anywhere if you can't even explore things on your own?

GPappi

I appreciate it, this really helped me. Thank you all guys. Now I got a way. ;)

"How can you expect to get anywhere if you can't even explore things on your own?" ;)

PunkNoodle

Directions?! What directions?

Anyway it may not the best suggestion but having a look at the released scripts here on the forum may help you getting familiar with it. Some of them may not be that well optimised so you may end up learning bad ways to script, and the good scripts are often too hard to be understood if you aren't familiar with scripting at all. Here are my two cents, hope i helped you and i also recommend reading Squirrel official manual and Electric Imp guide too.