Which license should I use

Started by EK.IceFlake, Jul 11, 2017, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK.IceFlake

I'm writing a very extensive client-side library for VCMP and am wondering which license to use.
Here are my options:

CLNS
I use this license a lot for my projects. However, the problem is that it is written by me and I am not a lawyer.
Here is the text:
[spoiler=CLNS]CLNS
You may use and redistribute this license, however, changing it is not allowed.

This software comes with NO WARRANTIES, read section 2.

PREAMBLE:
      This is a copyleft license--
      While most software licenses are designed to take away your freedom, this license, on the contrary, will preserve your freedom, even when redistributed.
      To preserve its and your freedom, any user or contributor to this software must retain the freedoms of this license.
      The freedoms provided by this license are:
            Every user is permitted to use or modify this software in any way
            Every user is permitted to override any technical limitations, including overriding activation features
            Every user is permitted to decompile or disassemble this software
            Every contributor is permitted to commercialize this software
            Every contributor is permitted to apply technical limitations to this software
      Please read this agreement carefully

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1>    Definitions:
       1>   "Technical limitation" means preventing an action without legal intervention.
       2>   "User" means any person using the front-end.
       3>   "Contributor" means any person using the source code or developing directly on the binaries.
       4>   "You" means any user or contributor.
       5>   "Deriative" means any work based on this software.
       6>   "This software" means any work distributed under this license.
       6>   "You" means the licensee of this software.
       7>   "Including" implies 'but not limited to'.
       8>   All definitions are case-insensitive.
       9>   All definitions are plurality-insensitive.
2>    No liablity:
       1>   This software is provided without any warranties, implied or otherwise.
       2>   The authors of this software are not liable for any losses or lost profits that occur by the use of this product, directly or otherwise.
       3>   You agree to indemnify the authors of this software free from any liabilities you cause.
3>    Application:
       1>   This license applies to any user or contributor of this software.
       2>   This license grants you explicit permission to use, modify and/or redistribute this software.
       2>   This license may be revoked by removing all copies and traces of the software.
4>    Scope:
       1>   This license applies to the source code, its binaries and any deriatives.
       2>   Additional license terms may apply.
       3>   Additional license terms may not conflict with this license.
       4>   This license will not apply and you will not be allowed to use this software if any law forces you to override it in any way.
5>    Freedoms
       1>   You are permitted to modify this software, by source if available, binary or otherwise.
       2>   You are permitted to override any technical limitations in this software, including activation/commercialization features.
       3>   You are permitted to commercialize this software.
       4>   You are permitted to apply technical limitations to this software and they will not carry any legal protection.
6>    Human rights
       1>   This software may not be used to or to support human trafficking.
       2>   This software may not be used to discriminate or to support discrimination on the basis of age, sex, racial origin, nationality, religion, sexuality or relationship.
7>    Legal measures
       1>   You are not permitted to use any legal measures, including patents or trademarks, to override this license.[/spoiler]

AGPL v3
This license is a very strong copyleft and if you are using this library, you will be forced to release your source code to whoever joins your server.

CC0 1.0
This is the most permissive license because it dedicates your work into the public domain with a fallback license if your law does not recognize the public domain.

I'd probably go for CC0 1.0, but I want to hear your thoughts on it.

NicusorN5

vito1

Do even you think is VC-MP development itself legal? Check R* eula, lol.
Use any license, result is equal.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: vito1 on Jul 11, 2017, 05:25 PMDo even you think is VC-MP development itself legal? Check R* eula, lol.
Use any license, result is equal.
Uhm... do you know about fair use and clean-room design?

vito1

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jul 11, 2017, 06:51 PMUhm... do you know about fair use and clean-room design?
You actually do not need to argue with me. T2 were informed already. :)
I am actually interesting to know what they will say because I am thinking about to make public server or not.
PS: "clean-room design" is irrevalent here

ysc3839

EK.IceFlake

After reading Unlicense's page, I guess I'm going to go with the Unlicense.
Here is the repository if anyone's interested: https://github.com/iFlake/Ivy
The documentation isn't ready yet and the repository is pretty incomplete for the time being.