Dev question, "Silent shots".

Started by Gulk2, May 31, 2020, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulk2

So yes, "Silent shots", or in the case of switching to a rocket launcher , the not so silent shot.
Our sweet 16-17ms jumpswitch shot that makes our shotgun/or weapon bullets sound like whatever weapon we switched to; aren't synced anymore! This is disappointing for me and I'm sure some others who've realized, as I always admire it as a showcase of very precise bullet sync, catching a players ability to do this precise switch shot timing and syncing it to other players.
It was truly amazing to me, sad to see it's broken and not syncing anymore.

So to devs; even though you apparently aren't active at this moment but supposedly you show up for a while each summer, hopefully this summer too. :P
Can we have it(silent shots) back... someday? ;D

Thanks for listening.

Hanney

Murdock

Quote from: Gulk2 on May 31, 2020, 11:17 AMOur sweet 16-17ms jumpswitch shot that makes our shotgun/or weapon bullets sound like whatever weapon we switched to; aren't synced anymore!

This kind of sounds like a bug and that you're asking us to put a bug back in?

Gulk2

Quote from: Murdock on May 31, 2020, 02:47 PM
Quote from: Gulk2 on May 31, 2020, 11:17 AMOur sweet 16-17ms jumpswitch shot that makes our shotgun/or weapon bullets sound like whatever weapon we switched to; aren't synced anymore!

This kind of sounds like a bug and that you're asking us to put a bug back in?
It's sort a thing I would consider a case of honed timing through many hours switching while fighting. I think for the case of consistency, the sync being what you see is what you get just down to the minimum level of timing with a shot switch. I've payed close attention to the cause at a visual level. How can I say.. It looks like an animation forcing the switch rather than letting it play out how it does on the player who is shooting screen thus causing said local player to see shots exit his gun which are cancelled on the receiving end other players screen.

I understand it's much more complicated than this, just trying to describe. :)

NewK

I know exactly what you're talking about, I remember this. But yea it was simply the result of bad vcmp sync. Now that the sync is better, that is gone. I see no need for it to return tbh :P

NicusorN5

Quote from: Gulk2 on May 31, 2020, 11:17 AMCan we have it(silent shots) back... someday? ;D
I agree with @Murdock , so that's a huge no-no.

Gulk

Just to be clear, this is what I'm talking about, quick vid.

Every visibile bullet exiting thee gun shot in this video aside from one iirc,  are silent shots.
BTW, before anyone says "gulk your server has wepdata mod", I set it to default for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCWmH-7YOY

I don't see how it's bad or is a glitch, the shot exit time is the exact same if the player didn't switch.
Go to the last 15 seconds for best example.

Gulk2

Crap, had forgot about this! Apologies for the late reply. I'd like to clarify some things.

@Murdock Maybe you are misunderstanding a bit, while it might be a VC glitch(only issue being the wrong gun sfx playing), it actually is a form of perfected sync and isnt anything to worry about as abuse-able or laming, its skillful.

@NewK It isnt bad sync, it's exactly what we see happen on our screen when we switch perfectly as mentioned and displayed in the first post and video. So this being synced would be good, accurate sync (concept: what you see is what happens on others screens, which isnt the case for now) - I think you might be confusing this with ghost shotting which is basically when you don't shoot on your screen but do on others? Lagger situations aside  ;D

Cheers for listening.