The history of VCMP

Started by ysc3839, Feb 09, 2016, 07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysc3839

Could somebody tell me the whole VCMP history? Also Vice Players' history. :)

rww

Join to Irrelevant Club Discord: https://discord.gg/MsPPZ5uV4X

Cool, I'm just about to go to bed. I'd love me a bed time story.

Stormeus

Quote from: Grand Theft WikiThe VCMP team got into a close relationship with the Liberty Unleashed team and as a result both team decided to make a fusion in which VCMP developers were LU developers and vice-versa and similarly for beta-testers of both projects. This move broke the long time VCMP-SAMP relation.

I'd argue what broke the VCMP-SAMP relationship was when they spun us off in the first place, followed by when they deleted our public beta announcements from their forum.

Miracle

I remember there also have a  tool call V
iceCity:Online :D

ysc3839

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 09, 2016, 07:38 PM
Quote from: Grand Theft WikiThe VCMP team got into a close relationship with the Liberty Unleashed team and as a result both team decided to make a fusion in which VCMP developers were LU developers and vice-versa and similarly for beta-testers of both projects. This move broke the long time VCMP-SAMP relation.

I'd argue what broke the VCMP-SAMP relationship was when they spun us off in the first place, followed by when they deleted our public beta announcements from their forum.
After playing MTASA I deleted SAMP because MTASA has more functions than SAMP. And SAMP's official scripting language Pawn is difficult to use, which I think is for SoC systems, not for network gaming. I don't know why SAMP's developer selected Pawn at first. (maybe there was no another scripting language at that time I see, LUA was released in 1993 and Squirrel was in 2004)

Also, I love MTASA because of its open source. (Because I love open-source.)

Stormeus

Quote from: Miracle on Feb 09, 2016, 07:51 PMI remember there also have a  tool call V

VC-O pretty much disappeared. They had a Developer Preview years ago that even I participated in to see what it would be like. It looked promising but there were some major sync issues that I guess just caused the project to lose hope.

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 09, 2016, 07:53 PMAfter playing MTASA I deleted SAMP because MTASA has more functions than SAMP. And SAMP's official scripting language Pawn is difficult to use, which I think is for SoC systems, not for network gaming. I don't know why SAMP's developer selected Pawn at first. (maybe there was no another scripting language at that time I see, LUA was released in 1993 and Squirrel was in 2004)

I just imagine that they're a bunch of masochists considering they still do everything through the SCM interface too.

ysc3839

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 09, 2016, 07:55 PM
Quote from: Miracle on Feb 09, 2016, 07:51 PMI remember there also have a  tool call V

VC-O pretty much disappeared. They had a Developer Preview years ago that even I participated in to see what it would be like. It looked promising but there were some major sync issues that I guess just caused the project to lose hope.

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 09, 2016, 07:53 PMAfter playing MTASA I deleted SAMP because MTASA has more functions than SAMP. And SAMP's official scripting language Pawn is difficult to use, which I think is for SoC systems, not for network gaming. I don't know why SAMP's developer selected Pawn at first. (maybe there was no another scripting language at that time I see, LUA was released in 1993 and Squirrel was in 2004)

I just imagine that they're a bunch of masochists considering they still do everything through the SCM interface too.
Maybe for performance. However todays computers' performance is very good.
GTA's builtin scripting engine also called "SCM", which is difficult to use too.

BTW I rembered 2 years ago, a people said "VCMP 0.4 and MTASA is very sucks, VCMP 0.3 and SAMP is very good". His reason is that VCMP 0.4 and MTASA doesn't support CLEO. ;D (He is a hacker had been banned from most Chinese VCMP servers.)

Stormeus

Quote from: vito on Feb 09, 2016, 10:53 PMI had read in gaming journal about vice city multiplayer in 2007. Is it was MTA?

You're probably misremembering. MTA:SA was featured in PC Gamer.

DizzasTeR

Sorry for being off-topic but before another war starts between VCMP, SAMP and MTA SA let me clearly state:

- MTA SA rules.
- VCMP is going great
- SAMP sucks because of pawn and other things like hacks.

ysc3839

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Feb 10, 2016, 01:49 AMSorry for being off-topic but before another war starts between VCMP, SAMP and MTA SA let me clearly state:

- MTA SA rules.
- VCMP is going great
- SAMP sucks because of pawn and other things like hacks.
SAMP's developers made a wrong step in selecting the programming language, which makes SAMP's server more difficult(than VCMP and MTASA) to develop and now they can't change to other language. Also SAMP's developers don't have enough time to update(It took 1year between 0.3z and 0.3.7).

Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 10, 2016, 03:52 AM... and now they can't change to other language...

So would you rather let the community struggle and die eventually because of the difficulty in creating game-modes rather than biting the bullet once and for all and switch the language? :/ That's some logic. I'll give you that.

But I think they like PAWN. Otherwise they wouldn't have continued with it. Somehow in their screwed up mind, they enjoy it. I just can't find another explanation.

Stormeus

Quote from: S.L.C on Feb 10, 2016, 05:13 AM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Feb 10, 2016, 03:52 AM... and now they can't change to other language...

So would you rather let the community struggle and die eventually because of the difficulty in creating game-modes rather than biting the bullet once and for all and switch the language? :/ That's some logic. I'll give you that.

But I think they like PAWN. Otherwise they wouldn't have continued with it. Somehow in their screwed up mind, they enjoy it. I just can't find another explanation.

There are a ridiculous amount of Pawn preprocessor and language hacks that they had to custom-build to accomplish tasks as simple as concatenating string literals. Not even variables, just string literals.

Quote from: Stormeus on Feb 10, 2016, 06:01 AMThere are a ridiculous amount of Pawn preprocessor and language hacks that they had to custom-build to accomplish tasks as simple as concatenating string literals. Not even variables, just string literals.

Yeah, I remember a benchmark (continued here) of common scripting languages and PAWN suffered a huge hit when they've reached strings. Worst of the worst results when scaling. Simply because they're nothing but arrays of characters. I mean, yes, strings are technically arrays of characters but they shouldn't really be treated like that.

PAWN is magenta and turquoise (simple and asm).

I'd love to see a VCMP "Scripter" having to work in PAWN and cry that he can't: "SELCT " + name + ", " + pass + ", " + salt + ", " ...

Anyways, I'm going off-topic and I'm not a fan of that. So I'll stop here.

Hanney

*sits in rocking chair* well...  a long long time ago I came to MTA:VC in 2004, played there, joined the first vc-mp beta tests of 0.1a and 0.1b then began playing on Littlewhitey's server in 2005... back then we didn't have all dem nice syncy syncy features and script's that you young'ins have today. we all slid around on the floor as shotgun knockdowns weren't synced and our games crashed every 10-15 minutes and we had to reconnect. We didn't have one of em' fancy shmancy server browsers either. We had to go grab the IP from  gtaforums.com which was at the time the main source for vc-mp servers.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/223880-server-change/#entry3334258

As time went on I kept playin n playin' even knew Littlewhitey himself and he made me admin on his server, that's when Littlewhitey aka Alex disappeared and never knew what happened to him and nevah saw him again! After that alot of players moved to sa-mp as they started releasing their first versions but still some stuck to vc-mp playin on Littlewhitey's such as myself and a fella called John_Dist. Then after that a new... *ZzZzZzZzZ falls asleep*