[April Fools 2016] VC:MP acquired by Rockstar Games

Started by Stormeus, Mar 31, 2016, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormeus

NEW YORK, Apr. 1 (Rockstar Games)After 11 years in development, we're proud to announce that our incredible mod, VC:MP, has been acquired by Rockstar Games

Prior to being integrated into Rockstar's studios, we will be working with Rockstar North to create an even better multiplayer experience. We've plan to add an immersive first-person experience and continue to add new features such as heists from Tommy Vercetti, character customization, and new dance moves.

"Really, we've focused a lot on our newer releases," Rockstar Games president Sam Houser said, "but with older GTA games coming out on mobile, we thought this would be a good opportunity to look at our classic games and give our fans a new, polished experience."

In 2005, developers for San Andreas: Multiplayer created VC:MP as a test for the technology they would use in their own upcoming modification. The team continued work until the release of GTA: San Andreas for PC, after which development faltered due to a lack of interest in continuing to work on it.

Little did anyone know, though, that a handful of members from the old team would be able to continue developing VC:MP and allow it to thrive into the present day.

"For a fan-made project, we were impressed by how extensive it was in giving other fans the ability to create these diverse multiplayer games and add their own personal touches to them," Houser added.

Over time, development continued piece-by-piece, led by maxorator. Despite the radical improvements brought by 0.4, one recurring criticism is the seemingly slow pace of releases, which the VC:MP team and Rockstar Games believe will no longer be a problem.

"One of the issues with developing VC:MP is that it's just something that we do in our free time," Stormeus said. "We would love to work on it as a full-time project, but we have our own lives that we need to take care of, and our current jobs take up a lot of that time."

"Letting Rockstar take over not only allows us to do more than we would have been able to beforehand, but now we can also be compensated for our work and do development work on a full-time basis," he added.

San Andreas: Multiplayer and its team members could not be reached for comment.

Milos

Amazing! I'm happy with the news. It would be possible to have multi-language support as SAMP?

aXXo

This is a sad day for VCMP and the entire GTA Modding community.
Rockstar Games will bring in their marketing squad and commercialize this whole mod:
Over-priced mini-transactions, pay to win features and useless click baits will be all over VCMP.
Look at the state of GTA:Online. They are gonna do the same shit to VCMP.
Let's resist this takeover with some kind of protest/petition.

Milos

GTA itself can be purchased on Steam. I think at most, cracked games would be blocked.
And even if it is so, at least we would have a broader support.
But I do not think they sold a mod. The difference is that GTA Online is official, while we are a mod community. At least that's what I think

MatheuS

Quote from: Lavador on Apr 01, 2016, 12:32 AMGTA itself can be purchased on Steam. I think at most, cracked games would be blocked.
And even if it is so, at least we would have a broader support.
But I do not think they sold a mod. The difference is that GTA Online is official, while we are a mod community. At least that's what I think

I think like that too
if( !sucess ) tryAgain();
Thanks to the VCMP community. It was the happiest period of my life.

Hanney

wow, i thought this day would never cum.

Sebastian

Is it a joke ?
EDIT: No joke ! It was confirmed ! :o

Can't wait to see that improved fps !
Somebody said that they will also implement swimming, passengers db and more stuff available in newer games. :o :o

GREAT NEWS ! :*

Beyond

DizzasTeR

No idea whether to take this positive or negative for the future.

Stormeus

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Apr 01, 2016, 05:04 AMNo idea whether to take this positive or negative for the future.

VC:MP will now feature exploding custom HUDs too so I'd call it a pretty good deal.

DizzasTeR

As long as this is not a part of April fool I am A-O-Kay with it. By the way, screw custom HUDs, get working GUIs and cursor ingame.

Stormeus

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Apr 01, 2016, 05:27 AMAs long as this is not a part of April fool I am A-O-Kay with it

An April fool? What do you think it is, April 1st? We would never.

There's even a Java scripting plugin in development but I'm not going to link to it because I'm not entitled to do such thing. How would that be possible without support from R*.

Thijn

Does this mean I will get paid now? \o/

KAKAN

Quote from: Thijn on Apr 01, 2016, 06:03 AMDoes this mean I will get paid now? \o/
xd no :P

ontopic:
Quote from: Lavador on Apr 01, 2016, 12:14 AMAmazing! I'm happy with the news. It would be possible to have multi-language support as SAMP?
And also:
Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Apr 01, 2016, 05:27 AMscrew custom HUDs, get working GUIs and cursor ingame.
oh no