Vcmp Vs Samp!

Started by EK.IceFlake, Jul 06, 2015, 06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormeus

Quote from: Doom_Killer on Jul 09, 2015, 08:34 PM
Quote from: SoFahim on Jul 09, 2015, 06:32 PMBTW , It depent on Game. GTASA is more scripted, more mods then VCMP. So SAMP > VCMP . If you ask about scripting blah blah.... then SAMP and VCMP at same stage. therefore VCMP is in Sq language and SAMP Pawno

I was SAMP scripter back in the old days and I was used with pawno but after learning squirrel I hate code in pawn now.

Pawn
public OnPlayerConnect(nPlayerId) {
    new szName[24], szMessage[128];
    GetPlayerName(nPlayerId, szName, 24);
    format(szMessage, sizeof(szMessage), "%s has joined the server.", szName);
    SendClientMessageToAll(0xFFFFFFFF, szMessage);
    return 1;
}

Squirrel
function onPlayerJoin(player) {
    ClientMessageToAll(player.Name + " has joined the server.", 255, 255, 255);
}

AND WE STILL USED TO USE PAWN.

PEOPLE STILL ASK FOR IT.

WHAT IS THIS INSANITY.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 09, 2015, 09:15 PM
Quote from: SoFahim on Jul 09, 2015, 06:32 PMBTW , It depent on Game. GTASA is more scripted, more mods then VCMP. So SAMP > VCMP . If you ask about scripting blah blah.... then SAMP and VCMP at same stage. therefore VCMP is in Sq language and SAMP Pawno

I was SAMP scripter back in the old days and I was used with pawno but after learning squirrel I hate code in pawn now.

Pawn
    return 1;
}

Squirrel
}

PEOPLE STILL ASK FOR IT.

WHAT IS THIS INSANITY.
With some defines
Pawn
public onPlayerConnect(nPlayerId)
{
    JoinMessage:[&plrname[nPlayerId]];
}
Now the big list of defines
#define JoinMessage:[%0] ...
#define &plrname[nPlayerId]
The fact is that squirrel has already implemented these stuff. Even though I hated squirrel, used pawn and thought squirrel was just a mind eater, now im better in it than pawn. But it lacks a #define, const cant have the advanced features that #define has.

DizzasTeR

Lol wot crystal, squirrel has you just need to find it.

Squirrel and Pawn are two different beasts meant for two different things. Comparing them is just nonsense. Squirrel is more of a dynamic higher language with reference counting designed from the start for the game industry. And while Pawn is seen in some game mods, from what I've seen it wasn't created for such things. Pawn is more of a static lower level language and probably garbage collected. I suspect that Pawn is more for embedded devices rather than for the game industry.

The reason while many people ended up using Pawn in games as a server side scripting interface. Is probably because there wasn't much to choose back then when the modding for Counter-Strike began. The others, simply didn't even bother to look for alternatives to Pawn. Even if it's a pain to work with and wasn't even designed with gaming in mind. They simply thought 'if it's working for counter-strike then it has to work for us too, right?'. And you guys ended up with Pawn.

By the time SAMP could choose a good scripting language there were many other choices to make. Even Lua would have been a decent choice compared to Pawn. But hey. Why even bother?

Anyway, simply don't compare these two. They were meant for different things. And using one of them for them in the wrong field and then comparing it to another which was designed for that field. Is simply stupid.

AFAIK Pawn was the result of a Book. A book about a minimal C compiler. And was initially named Small. Later on, that book got some revisions which means the exercises got some revisions. Following with more revisions to the source code in the final exercises. Simply because it peaked the interest of the public. And then finally becoming it's own thing and receiving the name Pawn.

Anyway, that's what I remember reading somewhere when I was documenting about compilers and stuff.

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 09, 2015, 10:03 PM... But it lacks a #define, const cant have the advanced features that #define has.

No need for macros in dynamic, scripting languages. Simply because the code can do 'if (os == windows) poop();' But with compiled languages, once the code is compiled there's no way back. And if you need that code to work on other platforms then you're screwed. I seriously doubt that the #define is the the only critical difference.

SoFahim

Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 09, 2015, 09:15 PM

Pawn
    return 1;
}

Squirrel
}

PEOPLE STILL ASK FOR IT.

WHAT IS THIS INSANITY.

But dear, Pawno in SAMP is more advance and easy then Pawno in VCMP.
As i told before, Every work in there own platform are best

The reason I have left VC-MP is scripting base + the gameplay.
VC-MP 0.4 released with lots of awesome things but they put pawn behind.

DizzasTeR

Pawno is longer and more complex code base which takes more time, Squirrel makes things easier and alot better. VCMP used to use pawno but not anymore.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Doom_Killer on Jul 10, 2015, 10:21 AMPawno is longer and more complex code base which takes more time, Squirrel makes things easier and alot better. VCMP used to use pawno but not anymore.
At least we dont have lua. That mind eater!

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 10, 2015, 11:07 AMAt least we dont have lua. That mind eater!

Squirrel is based on Lua. And if you remove the curly braces { ... } from Squirrel, you almost have Lua code. Why do people seem to find Lua so hard :-\ You don't do OOP or any complex code. So, why complain? You just like to start b!tching about something you haven't even used before. You just heard that story from some other noobs and simply decided to go with it. If Lua was so bad then why so many people use it?

FarisDon

Well Actually as the Gta version is now on 5 people stop playing Gta Vice city thats the problem of the lake of players and soon in 2017 i think there will be no player to play VCMP! and as our windows are updating too much faster and now its on Windows 10 i don't think that we will be able to play VCMP in future , but vcmp is good , and better then SAMP!.

DizzasTeR

Quote from: S.L.C on Jul 10, 2015, 11:34 AM...

There was a time I tried to learn lua to script in MTA, I was pissed off after taking a 2 minutes wiki read out on the documentary on lua and some examples, even tho I heard lots of guys saying lua is almost like squirrel and the bracket example is widely used that if you remove the curly brackets you almost got lua but yet I still don't get that shit language.

Stormeus

Quote from: FarisDon on Jul 10, 2015, 01:59 PMWell Actually as the Gta version is now on 5 people stop playing Gta Vice city thats the problem of the lake of players and soon in 2017 i think there will be no player to play VCMP!

Haven't people been saying this since VC:MP came out?

As long as there are good servers and VC:MP continues to advance, there'll be a player base. People still play Counter-Strike: Source. People will continue playing VC:MP.

Quote from: Stormeus on Jul 10, 2015, 05:04 PMPeople still play Counter-Strike: Source.

People still play Counter-Strike 1.6. A LOT of people! And it's not a hardware issue. They just prefer it.

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Jul 10, 2015, 11:34 AM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 10, 2015, 11:07 AMAt least we dont have lua. That mind eater!

Squirrel is based on Lua. And if you remove the curly braces { ... } from Squirrel, you almost have Lua code. Why do people seem to find Lua so hard :-\ You don't do OOP or any complex code. So, why complain? You just like to start b!tching about something you haven't even used before. You just heard that story from some other noobs and simply decided to go with it. If Lua was so bad then why so many people use it?
And that's the whole problem! I can't imagine coding without those curly braces (VB.Net was an exception but isn't now)!
OFFTOPIC: Windows 10 is pretty cool, it punctuated the thats, turning it into a that's.

Fuzzie

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 10, 2015, 07:26 PMAnd that's the whole problem! I can't imagine coding without those curly braces (VB.Net was an exception but isn't now)!
I can ::)
*Fuzzie winks at Python*