>>>VPS<<<

Started by TarGet_Killer, Jun 07, 2015, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What everyone seems to miss here is this. "50GB of SSD" are you paying for premium SSD storage or what? When are you going to use 50GB with your server? When are you going to use 2TB of bandwidth with your vcmp server?

Buy KVM instead and get the full power. What you need to pay attention is processing power and bandwidth speed. You need quality not quantity. You don't need storage space or huge amounts of bandwidth. YOU NEED POWER PEOPLE!

These are the plans that you're interested in:

Even the one with 256 MB RAM is more than enough to host your server and probably even more than one.

Aldo

Quote from: S.L.C on Jun 10, 2015, 01:40 PMWhat everyone seems to miss here is this. "50GB of SSD" are you paying for premium SSD storage or what? When are you going to use 50GB with your server? When are you going to use 2TB of bandwidth with your vcmp server?

Buy KVM instead and get the full power. What you need to pay attention is processing power and bandwidth speed. You need quality not quantity. You don't need storage space or huge amounts of bandwidth. YOU NEED POWER PEOPLE!

These are the plans that you're interested in:

Even the one with 256 MB RAM is more than enough to host your server and probably even more than one.

Oh look, a know it all who doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about.

The Premium line(Like I said before) come with 3.3Ghz+ E3s for both OpenVZ and KVM while the Standard line use 2.3Ghz+ E5s for both OpenVZ and KVM. The Premium line has less clients per node while the Standard line has more clients per node.

You say you need a fast processor which both OpenVZ and KVM plans have on the Premium line and FYI, OpenVZ is faster than KVM. An OpenVZ based server is 1000% fine for hosting a VCMP server. Also like I said, you can only host game servers on the Premium line...
Here's a speed test for the network since I can show you better than I can tell you:
https://www.aldo-aldo.com

Contact me at [email protected] and I probably won't get back to you. :)

@Aldo I am going to ignore this conversation because you obviously don't know the difference between OpenVZ and KVM and how resources are shared on such systems. With that being said. Have a nice day and go google something.

Let's say that I have a machine with 16GB of ram. And I'm going to sell you OpenVZ VPSs with 1GB of ram each. What would prevent me from selling you 32 VPSes instead of just 16? NOTHING! All of them reporting 1GB of Ram. Do the math of splitting 16GB of ram to 32 VPSes and see how much ram you actually get on each VPS.

Aldo

Quote from: S.L.C on Jun 10, 2015, 04:56 PM@Aldo I am going to ignore this conversation because you obviously don't know the difference between OpenVZ and KVM and how resources are shared on such systems. With that being said. Have a nice day and go google something.

Let's say that I have a machine with 16GB of ram. And I'm going to sell you OpenVZ VPSs with 1GB of ram each. What would prevent me from selling you 32 VPSes instead of just 16? NOTHING! All of them reporting 1GB of Ram. Do the math of splitting 16GB of ram to 32 VPSes and see how much ram you actually get on each VPS.

I don't know if you know this but you can oversell on any virtualization which includes both KVM and Xen. You are the one who needs to be taking your "go google something" advice. Hell, if you're this worried about a provider overselling then you need to look into getting a dedicated server.

The virtualization you use should depend on what you need out of your server and there is NO reason to pick the more costly KVM over OpenVZ to host a VCMP server and possibly a website and teamspeak unless that's your preference.

Also RamNode (Which I recommend to anyone looking for a VPS provider) has been rated as the best VPS provider on LET for over a year for a reason. Their EXTREMELY happy long time customers and new customers speak for it's self.

Quote from: Aldo on Jun 10, 2015, 06:06 PMThe virtualization you use should depend on what you need out of your server and there is NO reason to pick the more costly KVM over OpenVZ to host a VCMP server and possibly a website and teamspeak unless that's your preference.

But we're talking about hosting hosting game servers aren't we? Yes, hosting a dummy VC:MP probably isn't going to need any expensive hardware. But trying to host a database and a heavily scripted server on an oversold OpenVZ node is not the best idea. Either way, KVM is much more recommended for game-hosting. I used to have issues with OpenVZ whenever it came to hosting game servers. Mostly just lagging like hell.

And what do you mean expensive hardware? Doesn't that abundance of storage space and bandwidth indicate you that OpenVZ is more recommended for web hosting rather than game hosting?

EDIT:

In the case of OpenVZ if your server uses more CPU than a certain imposed limit for a certain imposed amount of time. The provider will most likely suspend your server. That's why OpenVZ isn't that recommended for game hosting. Because game servers can get very CPU intensive sometimes depending on the optimizations done on the scripts or how many people on the server.

Aldo

Quote from: S.L.C on Jun 10, 2015, 06:13 PM
Quote from: Aldo on Jun 10, 2015, 06:06 PMThe virtualization you use should depend on what you need out of your server and there is NO reason to pick the more costly KVM over OpenVZ to host a VCMP server and possibly a website and teamspeak unless that's your preference.

But we're talking about hosting hosting game servers aren't we? Yes, hosting a dummy VC:MP probably isn't going to need any expensive hardware. But trying to host a database and a heavily scripted server on an oversold OpenVZ node is not the best idea. Either way, KVM is much more recommended for game-hosting. I used to have issues with OpenVZ whenever it came to hosting game servers. Mostly just lagging like hell.

And what do you mean expensive hardware? Doesn't that abundance of storage space and bandwidth indicate you that OpenVZ is more recommended for web hosting rather than game hosting?

EDIT:

In the case of OpenVZ if your server uses more CPU than a certain imposed limit for a certain imposed amount of time. The provider will most likely suspend your server. That's why OpenVZ isn't that recommended for game hosting. Because game servers can get very CPU intensive sometimes depending on the optimizations done on the scripts or how many people on the server.

tl;dr You used a shit host that offered you some shit like 4vCPUS & 4GB of ram for $5/m and had a terrible experience now you hate OpenVZ. I don't debate with bias people sorry.

An OpenVZ VPS with RamNode is fine for what OP is looking to do and that's the end of it.

DeViL_JiN

Find any good VPS providers.....
They suck from my point of view, or you can give them a try depends onto you.

Thijn

Quote from: DeViL_JiN on Jun 18, 2015, 05:37 PMTHIS VPS SUCKS THIS WEBSITE SUCKS THEY ACTUALLY FUCK.
FUCK OFF.......
believe me NEVER EVER TRY THIS GODDAM RAMNODE VPS THEY SUCK REALLY HARD......
BELIEVE ME....... FIND ANY OTHER VPS.......
PLS STORMEUS REMOVE MY MESSAGE I CAN'T STOP MYSELF F**** O***
Because... ?

(I have't tried Ramnode myself, so I don't know if you're right or wrong. I just believe you should atleast give a reason why a company sucks)

DeViL_JiN

I tried to purchase a VPS from ramnode, error appeared invalid Credit Card but my money was also deducted from my card.
I also got a confirmation SMS by UBL bank about the deducted amount.....
Their website was not accepting my Credit card but how come they deducted the amount?
Am I the noob ? Or they suck xD

Thijn

Ofc you're the noob. Why not contact them about it, why not try to solve it? If that's the only reason you're not happy with Ramnode you don't know nothing about how life works ;)

DeViL_JiN

Quote from: Thijn on Jun 18, 2015, 07:21 PMOfc you're the noob. Why not contact them about it, why not try to solve it? If that's the only reason you're not happy with Ramnode you don't know nothing about how life works ;)
I'm actually wondering my credit card didn't worked (as their website show) then how come they deducted the amount?
Anyways that's just my bad .
I'll try to complain tomorrow .
:) Rage mode OFF

Aldo

And how many times did you try to actually contact RamNode about the problem? I doubt you have because Nick and his staff literally sit on their IRC 24/7 and the only 2 tickets I ever had to open were replied to in less than an hour.