[Bug]Unable to connect to server, client freezes

Started by Brian, Mar 28, 2016, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Description
Every single time I try to join a server from the browser the client freezes up and stops responding, also the game doesn't launch while the process is ongoing according to task manager however it seems to be frozen as well since the memory usage is stuck at 120kb.
I have to run task manager twice (since the first one doesn't appear as well due to vcmp client) and I need to manually end both processes.

Reproducible
Always, the only times I've been able to play was by reinstalling vcmp at least 3 times and replacing my gta-vc.exe and when the issue is fixed, the entire process starts all over again once I boot into windows.

What you were doing when the bug happened
Trying to join a server

What you think caused the bug
Some vcmp update as this didn't happen until yesterday.

Stormeus

Brian

Retail, also I use a different system now than I used to.

Brian

maxorator

Try renaming the following files to something different temporarily:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\GTA Vice City User Files\gta_vc.set
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VCMP\04beta\vcmp_config.txt

If this does not help, get Process Explorer:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Open it, find the "gta-vc.exe" from the list in the left, right lick, Properties, open the Threads tab. For each item in the list there, click on it, then click on Stack button under the list, click Copy All in the opened window, OK, paste the result in a text file, repeat for other threads. If the thread list contained only one line, repeat the same for the server browser ("VCMPBrowser.exe"). Paste the results to pastebin or similar and post the link here.

If the game window somehow doesn't let you use other windows correctly, set the game to use windowed mode before, by setting the number on the line containing "game_windowed" in your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VCMP\04beta\vcmp_config.txt" file to 1.

Also, include the C:\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\VCMP\04beta\debuglog.txt file contents in the paste and check if trying to run VC:MP creates a new file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VCMP\04beta\crashlogs directory. And if it does, include that too.

Brian

Changing the vcmp_config file's name is working.

Brian

Stumbled across a new problem, the game is not willing to launch at all now (no process what so ever) but the browser now keeps functioning. Occasionally I get the error "unable to launch process".

maxorator

Can you tell me the exact error text that you occasionally get?

Brian

I got it fixed after tweaking around in the Nvidia control panel. Everything seems to be functioning now.

KAKAN

Quote from: Brian on Apr 01, 2016, 09:14 PMI got it fixed after tweaking around in the Nvidia control panel. Everything seems to be functioning now.
Post those steps. It could help another user with the same error.
oh no