[BUG] The sliding issue

Started by Hanney, May 12, 2016, 05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanney

Description
Whenever a player is firing a weapon, holds the fire button and moves/switch's weapons they begin to slide causing no running animation but instead a weapon fire animation causing confusing desync.

https://vid.me/nYDR

Reproducible
Always

What you were doing when the bug happened
Holding the firebutton while firing a weapon and switch glitching.

What you think caused the bug
Button inputs whilst moving(?)

Notes:

Hi, I am posting here on behalf of the Littlewhitey server community as management over their. According to the active admins of the server this bug has been getting out of hand causing a lot desync and confusion among players, especially for the newbie players joining the server seeing this sliding mess. The sliding issue seems to effect every player differently, some players slide more than others do, so I assume it's affected by latency.

To make matters worse, apparently, more and more players are becoming aware of this issue and their treating it like it's some sort of tactic, strategy, skill or whatever to use in combat to out contest other players.

I had a bit of an internal discussion about it over at Littlewhitey's with one of the admins. They proposed that a solution would be just to warn/kick the players if they start sliding and explain to them what their doing. Instead of holding the fire button they should let go of the fire button before doing a run/weapon switch. However I do not think it is a suitable replacement in the slightest for many reasons ie:

- Telling a player to click their mouse instead of hold the button in a game is just outright silly and it shouldn't ever have to be said.
- Weapons like the M4, spaz etc are weapons which require for the fire button to be held and in the heat of battle quick decisions have to be made meaning players will end up forgetting to let go of the fire button.
- Similar to above, many players are used to holding the fire button by muscle memory which can make having to suddenly change the way they use their mouse a problem now.
- New players - Introducing this rule to new players would be a hell of a disaster since they won't understand what this bug is since it's not even visible client side on the screen.
- Language barriers. Many players don't speak English, trying to explain this to them would be a nightmare.

Now I know that Stormeus has repeatedly tried to tackle this bug, which I and many others appreciate his efforts in doing so but this bug still remains and it's sticking out like a sore thumb (atleast on Littlewhiteys). So what I would like to ask is what stage are we at with it? Does any of the developers/members of the community have any suggested solutions or workarounds to deal with this problem whether it be permanently or even at least temporarily?

KakaroT

I already had reported this to Stormeus and sent video (of all the possible glitches I could perform) in private message to avoid players abusing those glitches. At least players don't know the other glitches that can be produced using that slide glitch, I made around 6 minute video showing all the glitches that I had found. I hope devs are working on this, though there wasn't any news or fix-try about it since last few updates.

Link to my report: *click*

vito

maybe it's not possible to fix it at all, vice city has very fast-moving animations, add to this lags and get unfixable bugs like it.

aXXo

It looks pretty bad when a player does it Molotovs. The animation is like "FIRE IN THE HOLE...nope, you sliding son of a bitch"