[Forum Suggestion]Auto Lock Topic

Started by MacTavish, Mar 05, 2015, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacTavish

To avoid Bumping old topics i've searched an Mod to auto lock old topic but this is for SMF. But We need it on This forum to avoid this stupidity

If SMF mod can be installed on this forum then here is the Link

Grand Hunting Project
Join #SLC, #KAKAN, #Doom, #GHP @LUnet

Retired VC:MP Player/Scripter :P

PsyChO_KiLLeR

you are right beztone it will be usefull

Sebastian

Well, after these years of being around, I concluded that not all the "old" topics needs to be locked.
Some of you may think that 2-3months means old, but you can't compare it with an year or more.

Besides, there are boards like Video & Screenshots that should never have locked topics due to it's oldness.
New players will keep coming, even after years, and what we were used to know as old will actually be new for them.

The best option to avoid these old/uncontinued topics we create, is to lock them by ourselves.

This is my opinion.

Gudio

We need a plugin that blocks spammers like "Squirrel Master". OP should know when to lock his topic.

Quote from: Gudio on Mar 05, 2015, 06:14 PMWe need a plugin that blocks spammers like "Squirrel Master". OP should know when to lock his topic.

Gudio has a point here. It's not the forum's fault or the staff. It's users like that who don't have any respect for any community out there. All they do is register and booom, they spam all day long. It's like a spam bot slept with their mother and that's how they were born.

I can name a few right here and right now but I wont. Anyway, just leave them be. There's no point in struggling with these people because it's how they are. At least we have competent staff members that know when to ban them.

As for the auto lock-plugin.... This shouldn't be to hard to do. But there's no point. As long as the users can lock their topics. Also, what's the point of locking a topic? What if someone else is going through the same situation as the OP of that topic? I sure you've seen a few OPs that mark their topic as solved even though they've not mentioned how it was solved.

Well, in that case, a new user could simply post in that topic "Hey, do you mind sharing how you solved this?" instead of opening a new topic just for that. There's a number of other reasons why the auto-lock plugin might not be such a good idea in this case.

Kratos_

Quote from: S.L.C on Mar 05, 2015, 06:24 PMI sure you've seen a few OPs that mark their topic as solved even though they've not mentioned how it was solved.

This is the most annoying situation for me . Yes , I've seen such cases too . First , they create a thread asking for help & thereafter lock the topic with statement " My Problem Solved . Topic Locked " These threads that end up with no conclusion to the reader would be just a waste of time for other people .  They even don't mention in the final post that what was going wrong in their codes . They make threads & when forum scripters collaborate to debug their codes then they lock the topic without a proper or rather stupid reason that have  a foolish conclusion .

The O.P. in this thread have made the thread stating that he couldn't join the server . While on the console , the string came in error message was : " Failed to Login . Attempting to Kick From The Server " . Naturally , Login couldn't be failed unless someone has made an attempt for it . I made an attempt to debug his code . His posted functions had no error . Thereafter , he locked the topic with rather nasty reason : " My getlevel cmd have error in Functions.Nut " . The GetLevel is supposed to get the player level from the database as all you know . It has nothing to do with the login process . It was quite annoying for me when the topic end up such conclusion & it appears that I've wasted time in trying to fix his code . Don't take me wrong . I aint saying that only I should fix it . Even I make attempts to do cuz I could learn something new from each Topic . It doesn't matters that who fixed the code . But its quite an embarrassment that topics end up with nonsense conclusion .

Also , I'm seeing that some people have crossed the limit of selfishness . They create a thread asking for help & after when their problem solved then they PM other people ( who helped them )  to remove the codes from the thread as no one can gain advantage of that code . This is completely stupidity . They need to know that its community forum . The only moto should be : " HELP OTHERS & TAKE HELP FROM THEM " .

Also , I'm seeing that some people are confused about the contents of Script & Snippet Showroom . They haven't moved their topics even when someone reminded them . I'm urging the Forum Moderators to do something in this regard otherwise later it will be totally confusable situation when the forum will be full of scripting resources . At least , if these 2 boards are created then they are supposed to classify these things & it will be easy for the people to search script resources as they will get the idea of " What to Search Where ?  "

According to me , there should be a spam-blocker but not an auto-thread locker .
In the middle of chaos , lies opportunity.

Quote from: Kratos_ on Mar 06, 2015, 06:23 AMAlso , I'm seeing that some people are confused about the contents of Script & Snippet Showroom .

I'm not sure how these classify as scripts:
They're just snippets. What I understand by "scripts" is that it's a complete game mode or a significant portion of code that can be used in a game-mode. By significant I mean something that can be considered a third-party library.

Kratos_

Quote from: S.L.C on Mar 06, 2015, 06:36 AMThey're just snippets. What I understand by "scripts" is that it's a complete game mode or a significant portion of code that can be used in a game-mode. By significant I mean something that can be considered a third-party library.

Thats what my point too .

In the middle of chaos , lies opportunity.

MacTavish

Alright guys but what about others who just bump the topic for noreason like

Me: how to make an function?
Kratos: function example(){ your stuff here }
Me: Thanks kratos it worked ( and i've marked topic as solved but not locked and topic got 4months old then)
Spamer: do this function example(){ your stuff here}
Spamer: it wil work 100%

Grand Hunting Project
Join #SLC, #KAKAN, #Doom, #GHP @LUnet

Retired VC:MP Player/Scripter :P

Quote from: Beztone on Mar 06, 2015, 06:57 AMSpamer: do this function example(){ your stuff here}
Spamer: it wil work 100%

Well, that's considered spam. And what we do to spam? We remove it. Yay :P Because we shouldn't let a few spammers make legit users "suffer". Which is why a topic is left opened. So that a legit user can make use of it.

Trust me this will make sense to you after a while. ;)

Stormeus

Quote from: Kratos_ on Mar 06, 2015, 06:23 AMAccording to me , there should be a spam-blocker but not an auto-thread locker .

We can easily block spam, and the forum in fact does it by default. It's harder to block ignorance.

A sticky thread in the right boards explaining etiquette might help things slightly, along with strict moderation, which I think Thijn has been doing a good job of maintaining.

rObInX

If AI was developed and if it had anti-stupidity mode........