I want to create sea!! Help me

Started by Kenneth Law, Oct 11, 2021, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenneth Law

Anyone knows how to create pieces of sea rectangle which can drown players?
My idea is to build another large custom map high up to sky and fill sea around it to make it not be floating in sight :P  Just want the custom map to become a real world.
No! Please don't try to tell me the function SetWaterLevel() because I've tried it and found that the water only existed outside the default vice city island. There is actually a lack of sea in the part of the original island area.

Inferno

You can use custom waterpro.dat to set sea boundaries.
And SetWaterLevel to change its level.
Viva la VU
VFS Developer
VCCNR Administrator

Kenneth Law

Quote from: Inferno on Oct 11, 2021, 11:16 AMYou can use custom waterpro.dat to set sea boundaries.
And SetWaterLevel to change its level.
Cool! But I don't know how to deal with those data in this file. Any tutorial for it?

Inferno

Viva la VU
VFS Developer
VCCNR Administrator

NicusorN5

I'm afraid SetWaterLevel doesn't work with custom waterpro.dat files. This was tested few years ago.

Kenneth Law

Quote from: Athanatos on Oct 13, 2021, 01:47 PMI'm afraid SetWaterLevel doesn't work with custom waterpro.dat files. This was tested few years ago.
Quite strange after I added a custom waterpro.dat into my server. The sea becomes invisible although it does exist indeed. Players can drown inside but they can't see any water around. :'( :'( :'(

Sebastian

Quote from: Kenneth Law on Oct 15, 2021, 03:38 PMQuite strange after I added a custom waterpro.dat into my server. The sea becomes invisible although it does exist indeed. Players can drown inside but they can't see any water around. :'( :'( :'(

I remember facing such a problem few years ago.
No idea why, but water wasn't visible at all when the Z level was too high.
I think you can test it even with SetWaterLevel in a normal server.

Kenneth Law

Quote from: Sebastian on Oct 15, 2021, 08:07 PM
Quote from: Kenneth Law on Oct 15, 2021, 03:38 PMQuite strange after I added a custom waterpro.dat into my server. The sea becomes invisible although it does exist indeed. Players can drown inside but they can't see any water around. :'( :'( :'(

I remember facing such a problem few years ago.
No idea why, but water wasn't visible at all when the Z level was too high.
I think you can test it even with SetWaterLevel in a normal server.
With waterpro.dat the water is still not visible when at a low level. But if I use SetWaterLevel I can see the water however high it is while the only problem is that I am not able to set the boundary of sea as I want.

Kenneth Law

I've learnt how to use the tool to get the water visible now. All I need to do is to click the 'generate small map button' displayed on water editor after the sea boundary has been properly set. Only with the button clicked the sea can become visible in game.
Now the only problem is that if I can create sea in a same area  while it is on two different height? Since SetWaterLevel() doesn't work with waterpro.dat added in as mentioned above, I have to do that to make sure the original vice city sea still exists while another sea generated is added in for the custom map in sky.

Sebastian

Quote from: Kenneth Law on Oct 17, 2021, 03:34 PMI have to do that to make sure the original vice city sea still exists while another sea generated is added in for the custom map in sky.

I doubt the engine supports a sea over a sea... since you can only edit a (2d) image to set it.
Though, in order to set water for different levels, you can use different colors, and then just specify the height level you want.

Here is my custom waterpro.dat used in #TLRP server

black => water level 6.0 (default)
maroon => water level 72.0
etc...

NicusorN5

Quote from: Sebastian on Oct 18, 2021, 08:42 PMI doubt the engine supports a sea over a sea... since you can only edit a (2d) image to set it.

There my dreams of making an other map to my server are gone,