Droproot plugin

Started by ysc3839, Jan 26, 2017, 03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysc3839

Drop root permission on Linux. Inspired by znc.

Usage: Add this line in server.cfg: droproot nobody nogroup'nobody' is user name. 'nogroup' is group name. uid and gid is also accepted.
And add "droproot04relxx" in plugins.

Supports both 04rel003(maybe eariler, but I have not tested) and 04rel004. Tested on WSL.

Source code & Download: https://bitbucket.org/ysc3839/0.4-droproot/downloads
Thanks @stormeus. Some code is from your 0.4-announce.

Thijn

Or, you know. Don't actually use the root user to run stuff?

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Thijn on Jan 26, 2017, 07:13 AMOr, you know. Don't actually use the root user to run stuff?
What if you feel too lazy to make another acc?

jWeb

Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jan 26, 2017, 02:14 PMWhat if you feel too lazy to make another acc?

Juts because you're lazy then that doesn't mean other's are lazy as well. And by that I don't mean that other people will not be lazy and secure their servers. I mean that other people who specialize in breaching systems will not be lazy and make you regret it (that is, if you even realize you've been breached).

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: jWeb on Jan 26, 2017, 03:14 PM
Quote from: EK.IceFlake on Jan 26, 2017, 02:14 PMWhat if you feel too lazy to make another acc?

Juts because you're lazy then that doesn't mean other's are lazy as well. And by that I don't mean that other people will not be lazy and secure their servers. I mean that other people who specialize in breaching systems will not be lazy and make you regret it (that is, if you even realize you've been breached).
Well... to be honest, if you're that lazy and careless, you probably deserve getting breached