Spheres are still very inaccurate.

Started by Danix, Jun 20, 2015, 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danix

Hello, I saw that the new update was announced so I immediatly went to test it, although it still does not work properly.
Please, test it yourself and try enterning/exiting the sphere more than once, not just try it once and tell yourself it works.
Spheres are still not working properly, I don't know about checkpoints since I did not test them.

DizzasTeR

What do you expect people :-\ You probably need continuous collision checking to be able to catch them. My suggestion is to simply use a specialized physics engine like Bullet. They're much more optimized than a manual implementation and they usually group objects into buckets to only test collisions for nearby objects instead of all objects.

Stormeus

The problem is that the server does its own validation checks to make sure that the player really did enter or exit a checkpoint or sphere. These haven't been updated accordingly so it incorrectly believes a player hasn't entered or exited. Once I can get a Linux build server up, this should be resolved.

Danix

Bump...this is still not fixed :/

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Jun 20, 2015, 12:36 PMWhat do you expect people :-\ You probably need continuous collision checking to be able to catch them. My suggestion is to simply use a specialized physics engine like Bullet. They're much more optimized than a manual implementation and they usually group objects into buckets to only test collisions for nearby objects instead of all objects.
Here is a continuous collision detector featuring threading to less affect the performance
An untested version of this:
function onScriptLoad()
{
    newthread(CheckSphere);
    centerposofsphere <- Vector(0, 0, 1); //suppose a sphere is at 0, 0, 1
    sphrad <- 2; //suppose radius of sphere is 2
}
function CheckSphere()
{
    while (!null) //just trying to be fancy here, you can use while(true)
    {
        for (local i = 0; i <= 100; i++)
        {
            local player = FindPlayer (i);
            if (player != null)
            {
                if (player.DistanceTo(centerpossphere) <= sphrad) onSphereEntered(player, 0);
            }
        }
    }
}
function CPlayer::DistanceTo(vect)
{
    local dist = 0;
    if (vect.x < Pos.x) dist += (Pos.x - vect.x);
    else dist += (vect.x - Pos.x);
    if (vect.y < Pos.y) dist += (Pos.y - vect.y);
    else dist += (vect.y - Pos.y);
    if (vect.z < Pos.z) dist += (Pos.z - vect.z);
    else dist += (vect.z - Pos.z);
}
Just use some variables and modification for onSphereExitted

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 01, 2015, 01:06 PM...
Here is a continuous collision detector featuring threading ...

Just to be clear. Threading in Squirrel is not the same as real threading. It's more like co-routines. Where one portion of code yields/suspends and another resumes. All of this in a single actual thread. In fact, AFAIK the Squirrel VM isn't even thread safe. Co-routines are great for some situations but using them inappropriately can lead to other issues.

Oh, and btw this is what I meant by Continuous Collision Detection.

DizzasTeR

Did you know a race gamemode can not be scripted because of checkpoints not tracking the entrance/exiting correctly, this IS a bug and it needs to be fixed so that it always responds when a player enters/exits a sphere/checkpoint

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: S.L.C on Jul 01, 2015, 03:02 PM
Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 01, 2015, 01:06 PM...
Here is a continuous collision detector featuring threading ...

Just to be clear. Threading in Squirrel is not the same as real threading. It's more like co-routines. Where one portion of code yields/suspends and another resumes. All of this in a single actual thread. In fact, AFAIK the Squirrel VM isn't even thread safe. Co-routines are great for some situations but using them inappropriately can lead to other issues.

Oh, and btw this is what I meant by Continuous Collision Detection.
Maybe custom threads by VCMP developers would help? But its not an easy task creating threads in a dynamic language

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Jul 01, 2015, 04:12 PMMaybe custom threads by VCMP developers would help? But its not an easy task creating threads in a dynamic language

Using threads in a non thread-safe environment is not the best idea. Besides, Squirrel wasn't designed to be multi-threaded from the start. Adding threads would do nothing but complicate things.

Imagine this, 2 threads running in parallel and trying to move an object. One tries to move it in the +y direction and the other in the -y. You'd get a mess out of this and worse, a crash.

VCMP scripters barely know any programming for that mater, not to mention introducing them to the world of true parallelism.

Stormeus

We're not adding real system threading to Squirrel or the server. The server only runs on one thread and trying to multithread would kill the server pretty quickly.