Is NewTimer efficient for creating a delay ?

Started by Kratos_, Mar 01, 2015, 07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kratos_

The question about the delay function in squirrel by the O.P. in thread Help with Generator Function and Delay is obvious .  I'm too looking for such a way that we execute some lines & then for the rest of the resources in that function , we need to produce a time lag .

Although , this could be done by creating a function first & then whatever need to be executed with some time lag have to put in another function . I actually have tried to test this fact on my own about 4-5 months ago :-

function X_print()
 {
 print(" 1 ");
 print(" 2 ");
 print(" 3 ");
 NewTimer("delay", 5000, 1);
 print(" 8 ");
 print(" 9 ");
 print(" 10 ");
 print(" 11 ");
 }

function delay()
 {
 print(" 4 ");
 print(" 5 ");
 print(" 6 ");
 print(" 7 ");
 }

function onScriptLoad() X_print();

This will print  1,2,3,8,9,10,11,4,5,6,7 .  Actually I was assuming here that the portion of function X_print which comes after Newtimer will execute after delay has finished its run-time . But, results shows that :-
No doubt that newtimer will create a time lag in trigerring the delay function but the X_print function would continue to execute its resources in that time duration . Now , to get the results in desired order, I changed the function as :-

function X_print()
 {
 print(" 1 ");
 print(" 2 ");
 print(" 3 ");
 NewTimer("delay", 5000, 1);
 }

function delay()
 {
 print(" 4 ");
 print(" 5 ");
 print(" 6 ");
 print(" 7 ");
 print(" 8 ");
 print(" 9 ");
 print(" 10 ");
 print(" 11 ");
 }

Although it will print our desired result . But , I'm feeling that " Are we relying on a dummy function to create a delay ?? ".  Could this be possible that something is executed to certain line & then we use delay() function to seize the activity period in squirrel just like in C++  ?  This delay could be written into the core of the server as an inbuilt callback by the developers . Otherwise upto my scope , I aint sure about it to do something with this in squirrel . Who knows maybe I need some clarification .
In the middle of chaos , lies opportunity.

Thijn

Are you sure you want that? A delay will cause the whole script to wait, which means events are not being processed, kills not recorded, stats not saved etc. etc.

Quote from: Thijn on Mar 01, 2015, 11:45 AMAre you sure you want that? A delay will cause the whole script to wait, which means events are not being processed, kills not recorded, stats not saved etc. etc.

That's why I told him to look into my healing script at the co-routine to be able to suspend the process and resume it with a timer or whenever he needs it :)

Kratos_

Quote from: Thijn on Mar 01, 2015, 11:45 AMAre you sure you want that? A delay will cause the whole script to wait, which means events are not being processed, kills not recorded, stats not saved etc. etc.

I didn't think about it . Yes , it can have bad consequences as you described . Thanks for clearing things out here .

Quote from: S.L.C on Mar 01, 2015, 11:47 AMthe co-routine to be able to suspend the process and resume it with a timer

Sounds nice . I forget the fact that Squirrel has been made to extend the features it got through C++ .  I will check it out .

Meanwhile , I recalled the reason for the output 1,2,3,8,9,10,11,4,5,6,7 .  NewTimer will not get executed until Squirrel has done deal with its own resources & thereafter Server will tell the Squirrel Virtual Machine to execute it .

In the middle of chaos , lies opportunity.