Is hosting a vcmp server risky? Can I get virus or any attacks on my PC?

Started by Remu, Jul 03, 2016, 06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remu

Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 04, 2016, 04:50 AM
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:37 PM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:14 PM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 10:43 AMAs the developers say "should an exploit be found in the server". But I think nobody would spend his time finding this exploit.
That's exactly why you are not to run a server as root. If you want to host a server use these commands:
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
now you can do any shit and you wont manage to hurt your pc at all
[but this is only for Linux]
On Windows, just turn on UAC.
Well, it'll still have access to your personal files. You should run it in a virtual machine if on windows.
Creating a new user can prevent this.
Creating new User prevent this? Are you sure? If Yes I will be very happy.
If no, no fear when Drake is here :)

KAKAN

No, not only creating, you need to remove the permissions of that user from accessing files from your PC except the VCMP's required files.
Still then, in VCMP, the attacks are not that frequent, nobody got time for that :p
oh no

ysc3839

Quote from: KAKAN on Jul 04, 2016, 12:43 PMNo, not only creating, you need to remove the permissions of that user from accessing files from your PC except the VCMP's required files.
Still then, in VCMP, the attacks are not that frequent, nobody got time for that :p
This user can't access other users' files.

Syndicate^

Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 04, 2016, 04:50 AM
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:37 PM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 04:19 PM
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 03, 2016, 04:14 PM
Quote from: ysc3839 on Jul 03, 2016, 10:43 AMAs the developers say "should an exploit be found in the server". But I think nobody would spend his time finding this exploit.
That's exactly why you are not to run a server as root. If you want to host a server use these commands:
sudo -i
<your password>
useradd vcmp
mkdir /vcmp
chown vcmp /vcmp
su vcmp
now you can do any shit and you wont manage to hurt your pc at all
[but this is only for Linux]
On Windows, just turn on UAC.
Well, it'll still have access to your personal files. You should run it in a virtual machine if on windows.
Creating a new user can prevent this.

Remu

We just have to create new USer

one question. That User Account type: Standard / Administrator ?

Then From Where we should Block the User Don't have access to other files?

Remu

Can Virtual System Help Here?. I HAVE oracle Virtual Box But can't find windows iso.>>>>>

Thijn

Quote from: Remu on Jul 07, 2016, 05:10 AMWe just have to create new USer

Standard obviously. Then you shouldn't be able to access other files.

Keep in mind that in order to run your server you actually need to login as that new user which means you wont be able to use your computer like you normally would.

A virtual system would work, but requires quite a bit of system resources like RAM and cpu. Windows ISOs for 8.1 and 10 can be downloaded using the Media Creation tool released by Microsoft (Google it).

KAKAN

oh no

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: Thijn on Jul 07, 2016, 05:42 AM

Keep in mind that in order to run your server you actually need to login as that new user which means you wont be able to use your computer like you normally would.

A virtual system would work, but requires quite a bit of system resources like RAM and cpu. Windows ISOs for 8.1 and 10 can be downloaded using the Media Creation tool released by Microsoft (Google it).
Well, if you're running windows XP you can use Run as and in newer OS its not so easy but you have to switch user to the new user, open the server and switch back to your user

Remu

@Thijn I don't have the product Key . Lost It. And My download speed is not Enough.

So Lets move TO KAKAN idea.
Quote from: KAKAN on Jul 07, 2016, 06:46 AMI would prefer a lightweight linux instead.

But Linux Can't run Server32.exe as it is a exe(Windows Executable)

Then Crystal Bue
Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 07, 2016, 08:22 AM

Well, if you're running windows XP you can use Run as and in newer OS its not so easy but you have to switch user to the new user, open the server and switch back to your user

I have windows 7

Now What Should I do? I Don't have product key and a good download speed for Birtual Box
2) Linux Can't run server32.exe [Is there any other blank server for Linux?]
3) I have WIndows 7

All thanks for helping.

Anybody knows the link for blank server for linux

ysc3839

Quote from: ext-d.CrystalBlue on Jul 07, 2016, 08:22 AM

runas /user:User server.exe

KAKAN

oh no

Thijn

Just grab the linux server and plugins then. You can keep the script files, just replace the plugins and server executable.

Remu

Quote from: KAKAN on Jul 07, 2016, 01:27 PM@Remu, there is a other executable available for Linux OS.

Ok Thanks. I am going to download The Linux ISO for Virtual Box . I think Ubuntu is ok. Is there any other better Linux for this server hosting?

KAKAN

Quote from: Remu on Jul 08, 2016, 11:37 AMOk Thanks. I am going to download The Linux ISO for Virtual Box . I think Ubuntu is ok. Is there any other better Linux for this server hosting?
Sure, ubuntu is a good one. If you're familiar with CLI, download ubuntu-server, and if you want Windows like GUI, then Ubuntu Mate.
oh no