SkyNet MultiModes

Started by vito, Feb 24, 2017, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aXXo

In my opinion, when a programmer plans and designs a game mode he/she puts a lot more focus in uniqueness, presentation and efficiency. When VCMP gets a new feature, we all try to cram that feature in our scripts just for the sake of it. We put a great deal of thought in how cool that flashy things looks and we scream it out from a rooftop that no other server has it. The programmer gets motivated to script new stuff that is challenging to achieve from a scripter's point of view.

What we neglect is, the player's point of view. A regular VCMP player is a 14 year old autistic kid, who is gonna spend fuckton of hours on your server like a retard. He cares about bitch slapping other 14 year old kids with his 18 inch e-dick. He doesn't give a shit about the GUI organization, or how well you optimize the code. He wants a competitive game mode, with a balanced game play that offers the players to ruin each other's day and then have a group discussion about their mothers and sisters.

If you don't care about these players your server will be empty. It is hard for a scripter to think like a player because our mind works differently. So, it is always better to have a manager for your server that doesn't know jack shit about scripting but is mature to understand the player's needs. You will probably have a lot of disagreements with the manager, but it is better to swallow it up and script what you are told.

The server looks really cool, but I don't see it's CTF mode topping MK's CTF server. The TDM mode topping EC or LW's TDM or the RP mode topping Argonath or DayDream. So, yeah it is like having multiple modes and being second best in all of them. Why not just have a single game mode and concentrate on it?

vito

Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 08:32 PMHe wants a competitive game mode, with a balanced game play
Nope. He wants just playercount and won't join empty server. And he will join to any shitty server if it has alot of players online.

Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 08:32 PMWhy not just have a single game mode and concentrate on it?
To keep one system for all and let players switch game modes without exit from server.

aXXo

Quote from: vito on Feb 24, 2017, 08:45 PM
Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 08:32 PMHe wants a competitive game mode, with a balanced game play
Nope. He wants just playercount and won't join empty server. And he will join to any shitty server if it has alot of players online.
There must be something about the shitty server which attracted the first player. Then the first player attracted the second player and so on. Playercount is all about catering to the needs of a few individuals, until it grows into a group.

It's quite a lot of work to script multiple game modes and then push updates to all of them consistently.  It would suck for all that work to go in vain with 0 player count.

rulk

Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 08:32 PMIn my opinion, when a programmer plans and designs a game mode he/she puts a lot more focus in uniqueness, presentation and efficiency. When VCMP gets a new feature, we all try to cram that feature in our scripts just for the sake of it. We put a great deal of thought in how cool that flashy things looks and we scream it out from a rooftop that no other server has it. The programmer gets motivated to script new stuff that is challenging to achieve from a scripter's point of view.

What we neglect is, the player's point of view. A regular VCMP player is a 14 year old autistic kid, who is gonna spend fuckton of hours on your server like a retard. He cares about bitch slapping other 14 year old kids with his 18 inch e-dick. He doesn't give a shit about the GUI organization, or how well you optimize the code. He wants a competitive game mode, with a balanced game play that offers the players to ruin each other's day and then have a group discussion about their mothers and sisters.

If you don't care about these players your server will be empty. It is hard for a scripter to think like a player because our mind works differently. So, it is always better to have a manager for your server that doesn't know jack shit about scripting but is mature to understand the player's needs. You will probably have a lot of disagreements with the manager, but it is better to swallow it up and script what you are told.

The server looks really cool, but I don't see it's CTF mode topping MK's CTF server. The TDM mode topping EC or LW's TDM or the RP mode topping Argonath or DayDream. So, yeah it is like having multiple modes and being second best in all of them. Why not just have a single game mode and concentrate on it?

Very well put @aXXo this is exactly what I found difficult, trying to think from the players perspective.  You've right, a typical player does not think like a scripter. It takes allot of hard work to write a good game-mode for the players which is why I fully respect the top scripters like @Doom_Kill3R and I understand the efforts they put into making their scripts.
We are all god's children.

DizzasTeR

As a personal experience I'd repeat something similar to what @aXXo said, VCMP players are dumb, way too dumb. I actually still open my multigamemode script sometimes, looking at how much I kept it neat and efficient, worked hard on it, for the first time I created a custom class selection and it in no way felt different than a separate server in every mode.

I don't know how well did this guy coded his script but no matter how badly is it coded or how nicely it is coded, he will not get a constant playercount.

VCMP is left for the same oldschool retarded servers now. Players won't prefer new stuff.

[SPOILER=I'll Miss this]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKNpEeGkMQ[/SPOILER]

vito

Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 09:29 PMThere must be something about the shitty server which attracted the first player.
fake playercount for example.
Quote from: aXXo on Feb 24, 2017, 09:29 PMIt's quite a lot of work to script multiple game modes and then push updates to all of them consistently.  It would suck for all that work to go in vain with 0 player count.
Investing one's time its always risk, multimode or single is irrelevant. There is alot of empty servers with single gamemode.

KAKAN

Quote from: Doom_Kill3R on Feb 25, 2017, 02:59 AMVCMP players are dumb, way too dumb.
Play only VCMP, get hang of it. Play other MP games, you're out of control.
[spoiler]You'll laugh if you get the joke out of it.[/spoiler]
oh no

Luis_Labarca

My server RP
IP: 51.222.28.159:8194

Luis_Labarca

Quote from: sseebbyy on Feb 24, 2017, 11:18 AMA zombie gamemode without a destroyed city ... is not a zombie gamemode
But still, wish you the best ! I like how you are using the GUI.
Thanks friend, I'll take your suggestion.
My server RP

Luis_Labarca

Quote from: KAKAN on Feb 24, 2017, 12:06 PMI really like the GUI and stuff done there.
Great work, @Luis_Labarca :)
thanks friend :)
My server RP

Luis_Labarca

My server RP

Luis_Labarca

Quote from: sseebbyy on Feb 24, 2017, 07:16 PMI guess everything is ok, since he is using only one player model per team.

Quote from: jWeb on Feb 24, 2017, 07:04 PMSince there's no built-in way of dong it.
If friend that would be great that you could put objects to skins etc

I've been suggesting such attaching functions since 0.3 ...
My server RP