Client Update for 0.4 Released (2017-05-24)

Started by Stormeus, May 24, 2017, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennedyarz

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: . on May 24, 2017, 05:41 PM
Quote from: Stormeus on May 24, 2017, 04:42 PM
  • Added support for loading precompiled client-side scripts (i.e. .cnut files). These must be compiled on a 32-bit Squirrel instance.

There's just one question about that. How are we (excluding me since I can hijack the VM and perform an indirect save of the compiled closures) going to save the byte-code? Because I believe you have to be able to do that from the client itself. Probably an example is worth a thousand words:

Hud.AddFlags(HUD_FLAG_CASH)
In this case, `HUD_FLAG_CASH` is a constant. That means it must be available at compile time. And the way you describe the process is that we can compile scripts with the regular Squirrel compiler and simply instruct it to save the byte-code.

The issue here is that any other application that embeds the Squirrel language will be missing the these constants and the client API. So you'll be getting a bunch of "index XYZ doesn't exist" when you try to compile it on anything other than the client.

In this case there are two choices that I foresee. First, implement a function like the `Include()` one (or add an optional boolean parameter) that after compiling and loading a certain script, it'll save the resulted byte-code into a similarly named file, except with the letter `c` prefixed to whatever extension the initial script name had. Would avoid hard-coding the extension as .cnut in case some people (don't underestimate some people!) use the extension .cnut on the actual script.

The second one. Is to create a standalone compiler that mimics the client API. Which to be honest, seems like an undesired overhead on further development and an easy way to introduce bugs and outdated/mismatching API.

hashtag @Stormeus :P
Which means we're safe for the time being.
:)

KAKAN

print the string, it'll be saved in the server logs :D
:edit: Oh, I guess VCMP won't recognize those characters and won't save it :P
The other way is to somehow save it to the debuglog file, which might store those characters. But, then,. TXT, notepad might remove it :P
oh no

luchgox

good work stormeus

ps:Add bot system :e
Strength does not come from wining.Your struggles develop your strengths.

PunkNoodle

__           __  _   _  ___   ___  ____      _ __   ___  __           __
 \ \   ___   / / | | | |/ _ \ / _ \|  _ \    / \\ \ / / | \ \   ___   / /
  \ \ / _ \ / /  | |_| | | | | | | | |_) |  / _ \\ V /| |  \ \ / _ \ / /
   \ \ (_) / /   |  _  | |_| | |_| |  _ <  / ___ \| | |_|   \ \ (_) / / 
    \_\___/_/    |_| |_|\___/ \___/|_| \_\/_/   \_\_| (_)    \_\___/_/   

EK.IceFlake

Quote from: KAKAN on May 24, 2017, 06:43 PMprint the string, it'll be saved in the server logs :D
:edit: Oh, I guess VCMP won't recognize those characters and won't save it :P
The other way is to somehow save it to the debuglog file, which might store those characters. But, then,. TXT, notepad might remove it :P
Which string?

SAzEe21

Waiting for player.Gravity function in 0.4 :) or do add functions like changing players gravity in other worlds only.

MatheuS

Quote from: PunkNoodle on May 24, 2017, 06:55 PM

__           __  _   _  ___   ___  ____      _ __   ___  __           __
 \ \   ___   / / | | | |/ _ \ / _ \|  _ \    / \\ \ / / | \ \   ___   / /
  \ \ / _ \ / /  | |_| | | | | | | | |_) |  / _ \\ V /| |  \ \ / _ \ / /
   \ \ (_) / /   |  _  | |_| | |_| |  _ <  / ___ \| | |_|   \ \ (_) / / 
    \_\___/_/    |_| |_|\___/ \___/|_| \_\/_/   \_\_| (_)    \_\___/_/   

if( !sucess ) tryAgain();
Thanks to the VCMP community. It was the happiest period of my life.

EightyVice

Finally . I said that stormeus will not be active for 3 months for vain :v

Castagna

Not so dead. Regards to all the haters who have been moaining since now ;)

jUan*

cool and mind fixing ghost shots so they're able to be made as they were back in the older versions? :D

Radon

aXXo

Quote from: jUan* on May 24, 2017, 08:41 PMcool and mind fixing ghost shots so they're able to be made as they were back in the older versions? :D
you mean breaking?
Ghost shooting was a game breaking bug, which ruined game modes where ammo is limited. I'm glad it is hard to pull off in 0.4

Stormeus

Quote from: . on May 24, 2017, 05:41 PM
Quote from: Stormeus on May 24, 2017, 04:42 PM
  • Added support for loading precompiled client-side scripts (i.e. .cnut files). These must be compiled on a 32-bit Squirrel instance.

There's just one question about that. How are we (excluding me since I can hijack the VM and perform an indirect save of the compiled closures) going to save the byte-code? Because I believe you have to be able to do that from the client itself. Probably an example is worth a thousand words:

<snip>

The Squirrel bytecode compiler does a bit less work than you think. compilestring/writeclosuretofile work fine when compiling client-side scripts on a server or even a generic compiler like squirrel's sq program. The reason for that is when compiling the program, Squirrel is only checking for syntactic correctness, and will not try to resolve or execute any constants or functions until the compiled bytecode is actually run.

Sebastian

Quote from: Stormeus
    Prepared to fix vehicle locking. This fix requires a companion server update which will be released in the coming days.

Ugh, I will need to update the blank server...

[spoiler]
BUT I'm totally ok with it ! :D
Welcome back, and thanks for the update !

I have some wonders though: will setting custom vehicles' handling be posible with this next server update ?
[/spoiler]