[CLOSED] Temporary Free Host

Started by ., Aug 29, 2015, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KAKAN

I too host on windows 10, what;s the need of Windows Server?
And can u tell me what are the problems when hosting in a windows?
oh no

Thijn

Quote from: KAKAN on Sep 01, 2015, 05:58 PMI too host on windows 10, what;s the need of Windows Server?
And can u tell me what are the problems when hosting in a windows?
Hosting for testing is fine on windows 10. Hosting for other people and production servers is bad.
Windows is big and clumsy, and takes resources you can better spend on your hosted servers.
Linux is light and easily remotely managed. Plus windows costs money.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, it's just every big hosting company that actually hosts game servers uses Linux.

KAKAN

Windows costs money?
I have a windows OS and i host in it and now u say that it'll cost me money for nothing?
oh no

Thijn

Quote from: KAKAN on Sep 01, 2015, 06:26 PMWindows costs money?
I have a windows OS and i host in it and now u say that it'll cost me money for nothing?
If you actually paid for your license (Like you should've), yes. Linux is free.
Google for windows servers and you'd see you will have to pay extra for the license.

KAKAN

Hmm, Thanks for that INFO, now my q/a is Does it harm my PC?(I mean running a server in windows)
oh no

Quote from: KAKAN on Sep 01, 2015, 06:42 PM... now my q/a is Does it harm my PC?(I mean running a server in windows)

No. You are free to host w/e you want. The only thing it hurts is the electricity bill and now if I think about it, yes it does hurt your PC a bit. You'll have to use it more than normal because you have to leave it powered on and thus you take away from it's lifetime. Other than that, I doubt there's anything wrong with it.

Thijn merely gave you a suggestion. Simply because Linux is more appropriate for servers and pretty much networking in general. With it's light weight resource usage and easy maintainability, you could host more servers and have better security.

"light weight resource" Well, let me take Debian for example. I could easily host a few servers and the OS it self with just about 128 MB ram. Can you do that with Windows?

"easy maintainability" Updating all the software on a Debian system can be done with a single command "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade". Can you do that on windows?

Not to mention that linux has far better networking. Which is more appropriate for servers.

Thijn

Quote from: S.L.C on Sep 01, 2015, 06:52 PM"easy maintainability" Updating all the software on a Debian system can be done with a single command "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade". Can you do that on windows?
Yes, but you'd have to restart for every shitty update :)

Quote from: Thijn on Sep 01, 2015, 06:54 PMYes, but you'd have to restart for every shitty update :)

I was including other third party software like a database, web-server and a great deal of other software that isn't a part of windows.

Quote from: KAKAN on Sep 01, 2015, 08:39 AMPeople don't believe in free hosts most of the time

Quote from: Doom_Killer on Sep 01, 2015, 09:04 AM...
The thing SLC is providing you here is totally secure.

If you guys were ever concerned for me leaking your scripts or other stuff. Please don't! Just... don't! I seriously doubt I have any use for your code and I don't even play the game to have any use or gains for it. Please, don't confuse me with your regular nab who does that.

You'll never see me stealing your work or anything like that. If anything, I merely re-wrote it to learn something about it or to simply improve it. And that, only if it was freely available (open to public) in the first place.

EK.IceFlake

But I use this as my primary PC :D

Thijn

Quote from: NE.CrystalBlue on Sep 02, 2015, 11:55 AMBut I use this as my primary PC :D
In that case you're doing it wrong no matter what. Hosting servers shouldn't be done on a PC you actually use for everyday stuff, lol.

KAKAN

I use my LAPTOP to host,,, cuz my laptop lags like HELL when doing something, I use my laptop to host and to check the forums
oh no

EK.IceFlake

Its free hosting anyways

Debian

Quote from: KAKAN on Sep 02, 2015, 05:37 PMI use my LAPTOP to host,,, cuz my laptop lags like HELL when doing something, I use my laptop to host and to check the forums

You will end up paying more for electric bill than vps

For example, let's say you have a big high-end computer with a gaming-level graphics card and a monitor, and you leave them on 24/7.  That's about 200 watts x 24 hours x 365 days/yr = 1,752,000 watt-hours, or 1752 kilowatt-hours. If you're paying $0.36 per kWh, you're paying $631 a year to run your computer.  (In California, PG&E's highest tier is $0.33/kWh, and the average in Hawaii is $0.36/kWh.)

However laptop takes less than computer

Hey SLC, I'm commenting here because i found this very useful for me. I have used a vps before btw it is was 1year ago . I'm unable to have paypal because my debit card is domestic and all my country vps are expensive. I dont want a expensive vps because its just for gaming server.  I'm thinking of buying some bitcoins because many sites these days accepting them and it takes less charges . Can i get a vps ?  I will use it for vicecity multiplayer server hosting not anything else.
Thanks in advance

EK.IceFlake

NTW, dude!
In UAE the electricity is well below $0.1/kWh