[SOLVED]Many pickup casues lag?

Started by KAKAN, May 13, 2016, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KAKAN

Well, I was doing something while I discovered this.
I had about 50 pickups close to each other, and when I got over that location, I started to lag as hell.
When I used the chat, there was delay of about 8-14 seconds, even when I got 0 ping.
This doesn't happens with sphere/checkpoints, any reasons?
oh no

Mötley

Yes someone needs to take the time and update the weapon pickups there bugged in general,.

Where the pickups on your screen(your view, your monitor)
*I do not see any where in the wiki but typically you cant not fit but so many on a screen before you lag or crash.

aXXo

Yes, this happens.

We had a house pickup icon for every house. The Haiti/Havana area had too many pickups around the shacks. Several players noticed inconsistent lag with stuff delaying for upto 30 seconds.

To solve it you can try to create a custom pickup icon and set it's distance to 10, so it won't stream for far away players. I am not certain that it would work, but it is worth a try.

The cash pickup icon distance is lower than other general pickups, so it is not affected by this issue. I'm not sure about the weapon pickups, so it won't be a good idea to implement weapon drops on death.

vito

the reason is object of pickup or pickup's tracking?..

KAKAN

Quote from: aXXo on May 13, 2016, 05:07 PMso it won't be a good idea to implement weapon drops on death.
that's what I did. 10 players were in the server, while we were dming in a small place and this happened :P

Quote from: vito on May 13, 2016, 05:13 PMthe reason is object of pickup or pickup's tracking?..
dunno
oh no

vito

I think pickups just not optimized to use it in such way.

Mötley

Well I will slightly go off topic.

I have thought about adding to my looping method a way to create the pickup .
Since pickups can be removed just not respawned normally.

Another way in a looping method when finding the player that is in the loop would be to use an area system if the player is in the area create the pickup. Say 7 car lengths away vice versa remove the pickup. But there is still possibility of lagging a server still as there is a lot of data being possibly used(hard to explain).
Similar to aXXo's comment

Sebastian

Quote from: vito on May 13, 2016, 06:02 PMI think pickups just not optimized to use it in such way.

I agree.
Better say the lights created by pickups are not that optimized, so when are too many onscreen, it will simply lag.

If anybody is wondering, the same lag was happening in 0.3z when doing such a thing.
I used to create lights just by spawning like 10 pickups in the same position.

KAKAN

*bump*
It's not FPS lag, the server lags and the chat takes much time to respond.
oh no

Thijn

Quote from: KAKAN on Jul 15, 2016, 09:02 AM*bump*
Why would the server lag for something as simple as telling clients there's a lot of pickups in one place?

KAKAN

Quote from: Thijn on Jul 17, 2016, 10:03 AM
Quote from: KAKAN on Jul 15, 2016, 09:02 AM*bump*
Why would the server lag for something as simple as telling clients there's a lot of pickups in one place?
Then why does the chat much time to respond even with 0 ping? Even the players would look like they're timedout, but they're not.
oh no

Stormeus

I tried starting a server with 2000 pickups (the maximum) with 440 different models all in one location and went to it. The performance loss was virtually negligible as measured. Bear in mind that this was a server whose only scripts consisted of a command to teleport to the pickup.

I'll be back soon to post screenshots of my profiler's findings.

Xmair

Off topic: Can you increase the limit of objects created with CreateObject statements?

Credits to Boystang!

VU Full Member | VCDC 6 Coordinator & Scripter | EG A/D Contributor | Developer of VCCNR | Developer of KTB | Ex-Scripter of EAD

Stormeus

There's a maximum of 3,000 objects that can be made with CreateObject. If you need more than that, you should be using static maps. Dynamic objects are a far bigger performance hit than pickups.

Stormeus

This is a graph of CPU usage when in a server with 2,000 pickups in one place while running around and picking them up.