Ping

Started by Cool, Jul 18, 2016, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool

Hello guys i want to ask about ping on whats its depends its depends on vps connection speed or depends on vps Ram?

Stormeus

Ping depends on two things:
  • Geographical distance that needs to be traveled between two computers. Information can only travel as fast as the speed of light at most.
  • How fast the server is able to process packets. This essentially has to do with bandwidth the server and the processing power. This is virtually never the primary cause and only becomes relevant in a DDoS attack.

This is an oversimplifcation but you should get the idea.

EK.IceFlake

If it traveled as fast as the speed of light we would all be getting about 150ms ping for a line that goes all the way around the earth back to were we started. Unfortunately electrical signals are (relatively) very slow :(

MEGAMIND

just close anything like internet page mozilla or any other traffic site or maybe ur net is slow the only ping u can have for server is portforwarding in which u can get 1/0/6/8 ping only and in vps u have to host it through it if not any traffic onn site

Thijn

Quote from: EK.CrystalBlue on Jul 18, 2016, 04:55 PMIf it traveled as fast as the speed of light we would all be getting about 150ms ping for a line that goes all the way around the earth back to were we started. Unfortunately electrical signals are (relatively) very slow :(
Optical fiber travels with around 200.000 km/s, so to travel a 1000 km it would take 5ms.
The problem is you have to travel through internet hubs.

For example, the distance to my dedicated server is 300km.
But in order to actually get there on the internet, my signal doesn't travel 300km. I travels way more in order to get to those hubs.
Check this little google maps from the hops I searched the geo IP location from:

The total amount of distance traveled is 796.41 km
In order to get back and forth you travel 1592.82 km.
I have optical fiber at home, so 1592.82/200000 (km/s) gives me ~8ms
If you count the overhead and some slower cables, the theoretical and actual ping come pretty close: