Hello everyone :)
Today I am pleased to announce the grand opening of our official Discord channel! This has been created in an attempt to unite the community in one place, in the hopes to help grow and improve the community as a whole. In this server users are free to chat with one another, seek help with client issues or scripting problems, share memories and funny moments in our pics and vids channel and so much more!
To join our discord server, use the link below:https://discord.gg/mnTpR8pecJ
Please remember this discord server is a work in progress and certain channels/features are incomplete and/or subject to change.
Big thanks to PunkNoodle and everyone else who helped make this server possible!
During the early stages of our large-scale testing we found a couple of issues that caused recurring server crashes that seriously degraded the player experience. We're fortunate to have caught this during a beta test instead of a final release, and the information we got from online players will help us test these issues privately.
Unfortunately we'll also have to postpone our public testing to get the game to a more polished and playable state. We'll be spending the next day or so on additional testing. We know that a lot of you were excited to play this release, which is why we want to take the time to make it as good as it can be. Optimistically we'll be able to have another version ready for Sunday afternoon, but devs' availability for the next week may also require us to postpone for another week or so.
We'll be hosting a two day long public beta starting Saturday the 17th at midnight GMT
for version 0.4.7, the next major release of VC:MP. Because of major changes made to the netcode in this version, we want to host a public beta before release to test these changes on a large scale.
For this public beta, we'll be running two servers over the weekend:
- [MK] CTF 0.4.7 Public Beta
Saturday, August 17th
- littlewhitey's VC-MP Beta Server
Sunday, August 18th
Note that these servers will have both a 0.4.7 test version and
their current 0.4.6 counterparts. Stats on the test servers won't be saved.
The addresses for the test servers will be announced around midnight on each day. The server changelog will also be posted on final release, but in the meantime here are the changes you'll find in the client:
- Added support for HTTP downloads.
- A proxy can be used by setting the option net_dl_proxy to the proxy's URI, e.g. /setconfig net_dl_proxy http://192.0.0.7 or /setconfig net_dl_proxy socks4://188.8.131.52:1080. The proxy can be disabled by using /setconfig net_dl_proxy 0.
- Major netgame revisions. Specifically:
- The netgame used to spend bandwidth on updates for entities that hadn't changed. The ped and vehicle sync have been changed so that the client and server now only exchange information about changes in state, rather than trying to send full entity states on every frame.
- Vehicle processing has been rewritten to make remote vehicles move more smoothly and accurately.
- The client and server will now make an effort to process packets as soon as they arrive instead of at predetermined tick intervals, which should make sync slightly more responsive.
- The client should be better at prioritizing which packets to process and send.
- This update reimplements or incorporates some game fixes from other mods.
- From the Road Reflections Fix:
- Fixed reflections not rendering on rainy roads.
- From SilentPatch:
- Added a config option, game_enabletrails, that determines whether to enable post-processing visual effects and motion blur like the PS2 version.
- The game no longer disables the disk cache on HDDs and SSDs, which should result in smoother model streaming.
- Fixed light glow shadows underneath pickups.
- From ThirteenAG's Widescreen Fix Pack:
- Incorporated the widescreen fixes into the client. To enable the widescreen fixes, use /setconfig game_widescreen 1. To disable them, use /setconfig game_widescreen 0.
- Shooting is now accurate when players with different camera FOVs shoot each other.
- From SkyGFX:
- Fixed poorly rendered edges on trees, fences, and other objects with transparent edges.
- Added support for custom cull zones.
- Added support for replacing the surface traction table by adding a maps/surface.dat file.
- Changes to client-side scripting:
- Added the following read-only properties:
- Hud.IsEnhancedWidescreen() - true if ThirteenAG's widescreen fixes are active, false otherwise.
- Hud.AspectRatio() - gets the aspect ratio that the HUD is drawn at. Without ThirteenAG's widescreen fixes, this can be 4:3 (widescreen off) or 16:9 (widescreen on). When the widescreen fix is enabled, this is the window width divided by height.
- World.Hour() - gets the current in-game hour
- World.Minute() - gets the current in-game minute
- Player.Streamed - true if a player is streamed for, or is, the local player; false otherwise
- Player.Team - gets the player's team ID
- Player.Weapon - gets a player's current weapon ID; returns -1 if the player is not streamed
- Player.LoadedAmmo - gets the amount of ammo in the player's clip; returns -1 if the player is not streamed
- Player.TotalAmmo - gets the total amount of ammo the player has; returns -1 if the player is not streamed
- Player.ClipSize - gets the size of the clip for the player's current weapon; returns -1 if the player is not streamed
- Player.Angle - gets the player's rotation; returns NaN if the player is not streamed
- Added the following read-write properties:
- Player.Money - gets or sets the local player's money, returns -1 for other players; does not update the server-side value
- Hud.GetWantedLevel() - gets the local player's wanted level
- Hud.SetWantedLevel(wantedLevel) - sets the local player's wanted level; effect is cosmetic only and does not update the server-side value
- Added GUILabel.FitToText() and GUIButton.FitToText(), which will resize their bounds to fit the text they contain.
- Enabled setting water level on maps with custom water tiles.
- Weapons can now be used as objects in XML map files.
- The multiplayer DLLs are now smaller, resulting in shorter download times and slightly improved performance.
- Miscellaneous CPU utilization improvements.
- Fixed a crash caused by enabling color tags for a GUIElement and then reassigning text to it.
- Fixed a crash caused by deleting a GUIElement after clicking on it.
- Fixed a crash caused by the logging system for client-side scripts.
- Fixed the game crashing when trying to reconnect in the middle of a RakNet file transfer.
- Fixed memory errors when viewing the map from the menu or exiting a vehicle as a passenger which could cause rare, unrelated crashes later.
- Players headshot in cars now have properly synced death animations.
- Related to the above patch, also fixed a sync issue where vehicles would move on their own if the driver was shot in the head and played the falling out animation.
- Fixed 2dfx elements and arcade sounds not being hidden when the entire Vice City world is hidden.
- Fixed players with fall damage immunity being knocked down and taking damage anyway.
- Fixed remote players becoming desynced if they appear to be hit by a shotgun, even if that shot missed on their screen.
- Fixed players being able to use helicannons or fire Hunter missiles while marked as frozen or unable to attack.
- Fixed a race condition where the client tried to create custom objects before loading the models, causing "Failed to load model" errors to appear.
- Fixed the vehicle horn not being synced for non-emergency vehicles.
- Fixed players being able to enter vehicles as passengers while their controls are disabled.
- Fixed an issue where players could appear to carjack vehicle passengers if a vehicle door was blocked.
- Fixed not being able to fire missiles in custom MVL vehicles with Hunter weapon attachments.
- Fixed boat wakes being rendered at the wrong height when the water level is changed from the default.
- Fixed cull zones not being reset when hiding the entire VC world. This would cause issues like bridge fly-under camera effects and no rain in parts of the map where VC had these properties.
- Fixed some objects becoming undeletable when moved or rotated.
- Fixed fires and projectiles being removed around players who are frozen.
- Fixed the camera glitching when spectating a player while drunk visuals are enabled.
- Fixed not being able to pass null to GUI.SetFocusedElement to remove focus from all GUI elements.
- Fixed an issue where vehicles could momentarily have the wrong light status flags when streamed in.
- Fixes for build mode:
- Fixed World.FindPlayer, World.FindLocalPlayer, or World.FindVehicle crashing the game.
- Fixed a crash caused by toggling checkboxes.
- Fixed GUI skins not loading.
- Fixed dofile() not working correctly when the game first loads.
- Fixed XML map objects not being removed when reloading custom content.
- Fixed PlayerShoot and other events not being called in build mode.
- Fixed not being able to read the stream passed to Debug.ClientData.
- Updated third-party components.
We need to move the forum to a new server. We're not sure exactly when the migration will begin but expect the primary web server to be offline for up to a few hours while we put the forum in maintenance mode, prepare backups and migrate the server.
I'll follow up with updates if and when I have any, probably around morning in British Summer Time.
Note that the web server will return with a new IP address and the old server will be unresponsive. Depending on your and your ISP's DNS configuration, you may not be able to reach the masterlist for up to 24 hours after we make the switch.
For those of you still using Thijn's updater mirror:The official updater URL is now http://u04.vc-mp.orgFor players
Open up your VC:MP browser, go to Tools > Settings. Then at the bottom, replace the updater URL with http://u04.vc-mp.org
The official installer
has been updated so that new installations will default to the new URLs. You do not need to download and reinstall the browser if you've already updated your settings.
In order to limit the seemingly arbitrary nature of the promotion of official servers, and to avoid confusion and further debates on the qualifications of certain servers over others, the following criteria are now being used to determine whether a server should be listed as official or not:
- If the server was listed as official in 2011 and earlier, it'll remain official today.
- If the server is actively maintained and headed or developed by a VC:MP developer or VC:MP beta tester, the server will be promoted to official status.
- Since the LU team is also part of the VC:MP team, any active servers headed or developed by a LU developer or LU beta tester will also be promoted to official status.
- Any official servers that fail these criteria will be removed from the official listing.
These changes will help maintain a stricter definition of "official" in the server browser.:edit:
The list of changes to the official server listing is as follows.Demote
- Evolution A/D — no developers or testers in a leadership role
- Daydream RP — no developers or testers in a leadership role
- XE — has been official prior to 2011 (is not online yet and will appear on launch)
- Liberty City Unleashed — is developed and run by LU developers
- Argonath — I'm hosting and maintaining it
- littlewhitey's — is developed and run by LU devs
- MK CTF — is developed by a LU beta tester (@Murdock)
Now that it's April 2 in Europe, we're going to come clean — we weren't actually acquired by Rockstar. VC:MP is still an independently developed project. (The upshot, though, is that we definitely won't have microtransactions either!)
We do have a big update coming up soon, though. We'll save more extensive details for when it's released. In the meantime, I just wanted to say thanks for bearing with us on April Fools' day.
The old thread can be found in Off-Topic General
, and if you haven't already, do consider reading the first letter of each paragraph.
As developers, a lot of our time is spent adding features to and fixing issues in the client and server. Unfortunately, a lot of time is not spent by us creating comprehensive documentation of what we add to things like our wiki
. Although some parts of the wiki are nicely written, there are entire blocks of Squirrel functions, Squirrel events, and other pages which aren't written, or written less than optimally.
We'd like to see scripters and players contribute more to the wiki to help it become a better resource for new and veteran scripters alike. In accordance with that, we're going to be rewarding contributors with a forum badge that looks like this:
As a small token of appreciation and recognition.
Badged contributors are recognized for making consistent and high-quality revisions to the wiki. If you think you've made a sufficient number of good edits to the wiki, feel free to poke me if you want to receive a badge. Alternatively, just make a bunch of high-quality edits and let me know if you think you've done a good enough job, and I'll either award you a badge or let you know what you could do better.
The inaugural wiki contributors on the forum are:
Their contribution histories have been linked to provide examples of what good wiki editing looks like.
For anyone just starting to edit the wiki extensively, please read these quick contribution guidelines:http://wiki.vc-mp.org/wiki/VCMP:Contributing